H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Security bolt (rim lock) position in wheel

TouringGodet

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Ok, more thoughts. When accelerating, the rim wants to turn faster than the tire. When braking, the tire wants to keep moving, or "turn faster" than the rim. Doesn't that make any advantage of having the security bolt on one given side of the valve stem a moot point? Whatever advantage there may be, it is lost in the other scenario???

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
To go "by the book", as you say, look in Richardson. My copy, it is figure 9, on page 25. When looking at the primary side of the bike, the tire valve is to the left of the security bolt. IE, say the tire valve is at the bottom, 6 o'clock position. The security bolt is at 5 o'clock. So in some sense, that is the "correct" way (aka concours way for Bruce). The photo in my copy does match the description that the security bolt leads the valve stem as the tire rotates forward, IE, the security bolt "touches" the ground first, very quickly followed by the valve stem, as the tire rotates. Maybe it is better to think of the security bolt being at 6 o'clock, "touching" the ground, and the tire valve is then at 7 o'clock, about to touch the ground. Looking at the primary side, the tire rotates CCW when the bike moves forward.

Last edited:

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
I haven't fitted them in more than fifty years, changing tyres 2 to 4-week intervals got fed up of the bloody things. Brother Harvey was a tyre fitter and he didn't recommend them only made ones fingers saur.
bananaman.

GBewley

VOC Member
Well, that certainly clears it up. Ii think, anyway. I was looking at my shop copy, a fairly new (25 years?) version which had the picture you see attached to this post. I went back to my hardcover copy, which seems to be first edition, and the image of the whole bike matches Richardson’s words. Thank you, Steve!

Glenn

To go "by the book", as you say, look in Richardson. My copy, it is figure 9, on page 25. When looking at the primary side of the bike, the tire valve is to the left of the security bolt. IE, say the tire valve is at the bottom, 6 o'clock position. The security bolt is at 5 o'clock. So in some sense, that is the "correct" way (aka concours way for Bruce). The photo in my copy does match the description that the security bolt leads the valve stem as the tire rotates forward, IE, the security bolt "touches" the ground first, very quickly followed by the valve stem, as the tire rotates. Maybe it is better to think of the security bolt being at 6 o'clock, "touching" the ground, and the tire valve is then at 7 o'clock, about to touch the ground. Looking at the primary side, the tire rotates CCW when the bike moves forward.

Attachments

• B5CD2758-3B24-472F-A16B-9176EDEBBBDB.jpeg
    B5CD2758-3B24-472F-A16B-9176EDEBBBDB.jpeg
    103.9 KB · Views: 33

GBewley

VOC Member
That other image doesnt seem to have uploaded correctly.

Attachments

• BE363CD7-0F3A-459E-8A1E-C401A8BE95B9.jpeg
    BE363CD7-0F3A-459E-8A1E-C401A8BE95B9.jpeg
    452.2 KB · Views: 28

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
If I am interpreting things correctly, the picture of the Earl's Court Lightning matches the photo in my Richardson book, the security bolt is just past the point of "touching" the ground, and the valve stem is now at the bottom on the rear, and almost at the bottom on the front.

GBewley

VOC Member
You are, Steve.

If I am interpreting things correctly, the picture of the Earl's Court Lightning matches the photo in my Richardson book, the security bolt is just past the point of "touching" the ground, and the valve stem is now at the bottom on the rear, and almost at the bottom on the front.