H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Security bolt (rim lock) position in wheel

TouringGodet

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Hmm, on my Shadow, the front rim still has the security bolt, in the proper place. The rear, we left the security bolt out years ago. And, last time I replaced a tire or tube, looks like I put the valve stem in the "wrong" hole of the two holes that are close together. Oh well, good thing it is not a concours bike.

Albervin

VOC Member
For the first time in forty years I am fitting a set of weights and a security bolt to the rear of my Shadow. Why? Because it is an original rim and I feel I need to fill the holes with something. 1. Does the security clamp go through a hole in the rim tape or sit between rim and rim tape? 2. Do the weight bolts sit between rim and rim tape? This is my first post war matching numbers bike and I want it to look right even if it looks like it has been unloved for forty years. Thank you

Keith Martin

VOC Member
We do not use rim locks on 99% of the bikes we work on. We do install a 5/16x 1 3/4" x18 carriage bolt in the hole. Use an original nut, washer and leather washer on bolt and the concourse judges will never know.

Michael Vane-Hunt

VOC Member
I got an original wheel and the extra holes each had one of these short bolts in them.

Attachments

• 20200208_094618.jpg
    20200208_094618.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 32

GBewley

VOC Member
I put a hole in the tape for the lock because it is bear enough to install without fighting the tape as well. The tape goes over the weight studs.

For the first time in forty years I am fitting a set of weights and a security bolt to the rear of my Shadow. Why? Because it is an original rim and I feel I need to fill the holes with something. 1. Does the security clamp go through a hole in the rim tape or sit between rim and rim tape? 2. Do the weight bolts sit between rim and rim tape? This is my first post war matching numbers bike and I want it to look right even if it looks like it has been unloved for forty years. Thank you

Last edited:

GBewley

VOC Member
Ok...I only asked because the factory didn't install rim locks on the singles and I was wondering if you had one of those wheels.

Glen, my rim has one hole for the valve stem, two holes for the wheel weights and one for the tyre lock.

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Not sure how old this is, but it's been kicked around my garage for years. The price tag says $3 US. It's a Dunlop part. I think the rivet heads are smooth enough for the piece to sit above the rim tape, against the tube.

IMG_2789.JPG
IMG_2790.JPG