Rubber

Howard

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I'm not well versed in tyre technology, but doesn't the fact that the middle is wearing out suggest that it's all the same compound? The middle would be harder wearing and the sides softer if it was made from different grades???????????????

H

john998

VOC Member
Tyres

Just a further thought, some tyres back I had a Conti tour 120 18 90 size.
It lasted 8000 miles, when I came to replace it they had of course stopped making that paten. The replacement that they recommended lasted 3000 miles.
That is when I bought the avon AM26 roadrider, a good tyre but white lining at 3K, and so worn out.
I would like some recommendations for longer lasting tyres. perhaps Bridgestones?
I would not advise fitting 120 section tyres to the Vincent, it is difficult to get the clearance, it can be done on a 'C' but causes a lot of swearing.
John.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I used to get about 5000 miles from a rear Super venom (120/90 - 18) and upped that to around 8000 on a Road rider. That's usualy done about 80% two up with luggage. A Roadrider in Australia barely made 7000 - I think due to slightly heavier than normal load, the heat and the seemingly more coarse and sharp rock used on the roads.

I remember an urban legend that riding two-up extended the life of the rear tire. Don't recall if there was a supporting theory, just anecdotal evidence.

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Discipline that right wrist, hooligan. I've got 3000 from my current Roadrider, with 1 or 2000 left, and by the looks of it, will get 6-8,000 out of the front Speedmaster. (One front seems to outlast two rears.) With original wheel sizes, choices are limited. I can use Avon, or as an alternative, Avon.
I don't consider the wear unreasonable: it's a small price to pay for A LOT of stick. Interesting that "Vincent road tyres" today are as soft as race tyres were 10 years ago.

Just a further thought, some tyres back I had a Conti tour 120 18 90 size.
It lasted 8000 miles, when I came to replace it they had of course stopped making that paten. The replacement that they recommended lasted 3000 miles.
That is when I bought the avon AM26 roadrider, a good tyre but white lining at 3K, and so worn out.
I would like some recommendations for longer lasting tyres. perhaps Bridgestones?
I would not advise fitting 120 section tyres to the Vincent, it is difficult to get the clearance, it can be done on a 'C' but causes a lot of swearing.
John.

Howard

VOC Member
Does anyone remember the first Bridgestone tyres coming to the UK? They lasted a lifetime, the problem was, they were Teflon coated so your lifetime wasn't very long if you did ridiculous things like leaning the bike over for a bend.

H

Howard

VOC Member
I remember them, but never had the courage, or desire, to buy any. I recall there was a glut of barely worn ones for sale at the time.

I did however have some Japanese tyres on a push bike, and they were also only any good if you kept the bike upright.

A grippy tyre is always, to me, more important than the longevity of the tyre carcass.

Never bought them either, but I overtook plenty of people who did.

H

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Avon race tyres

Avon occasionally make batches of "old pattern" tyres in race compound. I raced a 350 Manx Norton on them once, 19" x 3.25" Speedmaster front, 19" x 4.10 Avon GP rear. In an open capacity race I finished 9th, and managed to split the 350 Hondas. And at the end of the meeting, on the Sunday, there was no trace left of the last three ribs on the right side front. Total mileage, about 120 miles...
(It is easy, but not cheap, to buy 19" Roadrunners (AM20 and AM22) in race compound. They afford a startling improvement in grip. They are marked "not for highway use" which is just HSE nonsense and can be ignored - it means they don't have to test a batch to destruction thus wrecking the economics - but they still cost about £160 each, which is more difficult to ignore.

Tom

Exactly. 'touringvin' suggested it was soft in the middle which does not make sense to me either. I would also think dual compound tyres would be a bit dearer to buy than these Roadriders are.

Avon may of course make them in dual compound for track use (only).

Rocket3

VOC Member
If your MOT station is on the ball they will pick up the not for highway use stamped on the tyres and fail the bike, mine did !!!! Bridgestone BT 45 is the way to go for road use and the odd track day, you can still grind your clutch cover away if you want with no problem.
But for serious racing stick with Avon AM range of tyres.

Last edited: