Rubber

John Appleton

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Have to aggree with Tom, my bike MOT tester near Perth told me the same thing, if he inputs test too often he gets his knuckles rapped.
He is very thorough but sensible.
John.[/QUOTE]

What will happen is that his monthly statistics will show a very low AVERAGE time if he habitually records quick tests. At this point his local VOSA inspector will monitor a test from his car, and when the mechanic books off of the test, the inspector will drive in and retest the machine himself. If he finds all is well, thare will be no repercussions.
Another ploy which VOSA use is the "mystery shopper" who presents a previously inspected vehicle , and compares the garage findings with their own. If all is well the garage will never know it happened.
Having said all of this, I do accept that there are shady garage proprietors out there who do not administer the scheme as it is intended and this behaviour reflects badly on all of us.
All I can say is that when we testers attend VOSA refresher courses, these shady testers stand out like a sore thumb and no doubt attract further attention from their local inspector. I can also confirm that the guidelines VOSA give us stress that the vehicle presenter should ALWAYS be given the benefit of the doubt and if something is slightly worn, it is not a reason for failure , but the owner must be notified in print that attention is required. I also accept that , if the workshop is short of work or the tester is paid a bonus for the number of "quick fit" items he fails, This is not likely to happen!
John