Rubber

Tom Gaynor

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I take your point. I was never caught.
I don't now have any bikes that take tyres which, while too hard for racing, still provide a huge margin of safety on the road. The Vin is on 20" front and 19" rear, which means choosing between Avon, and Avon, unless I mix front and rear. I can't say it is a burden, I can ride it as fast as I choose to ride it. However if anyone wants illegal 18" tyres that provide an unimaginable degree of safety between MOT's...
I don't however regard MOT's as much more than a measure which, while much needed at the time it was introduced, has now, when MOT's are annual, and many vehicles require a service only every two years, has morphed into a giant revenue and job perpetuation scheme. I now keep a kit of new parts (e.g. orange indicator bulbs) that are kept in a box marked "for MOT use only". It keeps the garage trade on their toes. Someone once attempted to charge me £20 "for aligning the headlamps", and backed off when I pointed out that the headlamp alignment was controlled by a thumbwheel on the dash, adjustable for load. And resisted the need for a new £400 catalytic converter for a car that "failed its emissions". It had failed a part of the test it didn't have to sit.
Did you know that an MOT always takes 30 minutes, because the VOSA software mandates that between an MOT being logged, and a pass or fail being issued, 30 minutes must elapse? So even if it takes only 15, you'll still have to hang about letching after the receptionist (easy for me, she's a fox) until VOSA deems the job is done? On reflection, I wouldn't have it any other way. She really IS a fox.
"Work expands to fill the time available for its performance". aka Parkinson's First Law.

Tom

What is compelled without reason, can be ignored without reason - so long as you don't get caught.

If your MOT station is on the ball they will pick up the not for highway use stamped on the tyres and fail the bike, mine did !!!! Bridgestone BT 45 is the way to go for road use and the odd track day, you can still grind your clutch cover away if you want with no problem.
But for serious racing stick with Avon AM range of tyres.

John Appleton

VOC Member
now, when MOT's are annual, and many vehicles require a service only every two years, has morphed into a giant revenue and job perpetuation scheme.
Did you know that an MOT always takes 30 minutes, because the VOSA software mandates that between an MOT being logged, and a pass or fail being issued, 30 minutes must elapse?

Tom

Sorry Tom - this is not so. 1) if you saw the number of tyres that we see that have not only worn through the tread, but have taken on the look of a ragged steel wool scourer, and the amazing number of broken road springs we find, and all on vehicles that were only tested 12 months ago, then you would be tempted to say 6 monthly inspections should be considered!
2) There is no specified time allowed for a M.O.T. test. VOSA , the governing agency, are at great pains to stress the point that a test must take as long as it takes. Paranoid testers have given rise to the myth that big brother has nothing better to do than to sit in an office timing their efforts.
To illustrate the futility of giving a standard time, in our test centre we may be testing anything from a quad bike , taking 20 minutes, to a Winnebago built to American specs. taking 1.5 hours, both of which are a class 4 test the same as a family car!
The national average is approximately 40 minutes, which does not include the time taken to get chassis numbers etc. or the time taken in explaining the results to the owner. We allow 1 hour per test and usually run out of time by the end of the day. None of this makes any allowance for the time taken for free retests of specific items.

John (vosa authorised vehicle examiner
icon7.gif
)

clevtrev

VOC Member
If your MOT station is on the ball they will pick up the not for highway use stamped on the tyres and fail the bike, mine did !!!! Bridgestone BT 45 is the way to go for road use and the odd track day, you can still grind your clutch cover away if you want with no problem.
But for serious racing stick with Avon AM range of tyres.
Instead of grinding your clutch cover, why not try grinding off the `Not For Highway Use`on the tyre ?

Comet Rider

VOC Member
BT45 tyres

I spoke to my friendly bikeshop today, and they tell me that for a 19" fron 18" rear combo that BT45's from Bridgestone are readily available. Approx £150 a pair:eek:

Neil

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
IN answer to Bill Thomas- "how did you get a 130rear tyre in?" The short answer is I didn't ! the previous owner [ Cliff Baker from suffolk] did. Nothing has been "animalised", and yes the chainguard is still in place. As my old mate would say, it's all done with kindness+ a big hammer.:D

nkt267

VOC Member
I spoke to my friendly bikeshop today, and they tell me that for a 19" fron 18" rear combo that BT45's from Bridgestone are readily available. Approx £150 a pair
Not bad! My son paid near £250 for tyres for his Guzzi Grisso, not the most expensive either, and I get just as much enjoyment from the tyres on my Comet as he does:D..john

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Mot

I must have a paranoid tester, although I could scarcely blame him if he thought some QUANGO like VOSA was out to get him, because that's why they exist. Thus the civil service can distance themselves from the results of their actions.
However, you will I hope accept that while MY bikes simply SAIL through MOT tests, eclipsing all others in their perfection, and drawing gasps of wonder from ex-MV works mechanics, he will NOT log the inevitable pass until 30 minutes have elapsed, having been bitten before. As indeed had another tester, who idled through a no-lights MOT on a vintage bike in 15 minutes, but told me there was no point in logging it now, because VOSA would reject it, as they had before.
This leaves me with nothing to do but chat up the receptionist, a burden I unwillingly shoulder. It's tough, but someone has to do it.
I won't tell you about dealers in Aberdeen who fail bikes on the grounds of slack steering head bearings (which were perfect) and pass the same bike 90 minutes later, unaltered, thus collecting two fees.
That there are dedicated MOT testers, dedicated to getting unsafe vehicles made safe, I don't doubt. That there are unsafe vehicles, I don't doubt. When I went to a testing station with my camper van, I was very, very impressed. It passed, too. No doubts there. But that the garage trade as a whole, or more accurately as I have experienced it, is as bent as a corkscrew, I doubt far less. And my high regard for you personally, and my favourable opinion of our local VOSA test station, won't alter that.

Tom

Tom

now, when MOT's are annual, and many vehicles require a service only every two years, has morphed into a giant revenue and job perpetuation scheme.
Did you know that an MOT always takes 30 minutes, because the VOSA software mandates that between an MOT being logged, and a pass or fail being issued, 30 minutes must elapse?

Tom

Sorry Tom - this is not so. 1) if you saw the number of tyres that we see that have not only worn through the tread, but have taken on the look of a ragged steel wool scourer, and the amazing number of broken road springs we find, and all on vehicles that were only tested 12 months ago, then you would be tempted to say 6 monthly inspections should be considered!
2) There is no specified time allowed for a M.O.T. test. VOSA , the governing agency, are at great pains to stress the point that a test must take as long as it takes. Paranoid testers have given rise to the myth that big brother has nothing better to do than to sit in an office timing their efforts.
To illustrate the futility of giving a standard time, in our test centre we may be testing anything from a quad bike , taking 20 minutes, to a Winnebago built to American specs. taking 1.5 hours, both of which are a class 4 test the same as a family car!
The national average is approximately 40 minutes, which does not include the time taken to get chassis numbers etc. or the time taken in explaining the results to the owner. We allow 1 hour per test and usually run out of time by the end of the day. None of this makes any allowance for the time taken for free retests of specific items.

John (vosa authorised vehicle examiner
icon7.gif
)

john998

VOC Member
Tyres

Hello,
Two thoughts, Have to aggree with Tom, my bike MOT tester near Perth told me the same thing, if he inputs test too often he gets his knuckles rapped.
He is very thorough but sensible.
Point two, why do most folk get more miles from there back tyres, but less from there front tyres than me? I think I am too old to be a boy racer.
John.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Tyres

Hello All,
I wonder if it is Tyre pressure that makes John's wear out quicker,
I won't have my tyres too high, The modern recommendations make
me feel unsafe.
On a twin with just me, I don't go over 26lb rear.
-----Comet---------------------------24-----.
Just a thought !
Cheers Bill.