RIP's NEW TOY

riptragle1953

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
The Egli was clocked in one of it's formations between mile posts on I-40 west of Nashville at 152 mph. What all this stuff about bicycle speedo's has to do with anything is beyond me.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Keith J I'm not trying to generate buisiness or money, just protecting 50 years of experience . Bill Lacey, heard of him? Look out the original Brooklands tuners- he always maintained that he would NEVER tell "how it was done" as it was his understanding that the amaters would only do half what he said, and then blame him for the resulting disaster. I wholeheartedly agree with the old grump. (God bless his memory) , Roy

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1085

Keith: that's bull-shit. Help is one thing but the attitude that anyone owes you or anyone else information is non-sense.
To paraphrase someone famous- if you don't want to pay-it's my way or the highway! This sort of information is hard won by the few, I know-as I have just sorted one out. We will not give it free-gratis, as Rip's advert says "you can send your child to Yale, or let me build your motor. This is how us gear heads EARN our living. How about a free tutorial on financial dealings, or whatever you earn from?
Just responding to your post as this reads to be a commercial stance to me rather than protecting 50 years of experience. By all means, don't hand out your hard won information. it is yours to do with as you wish.

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
Look, I have tried to make it clear that my interest was in building very reliable and long lasting road machines. I had no interest at all in racing or higher than normally usable high speed. I believe the average user would rather have a solid road going machine than worry about
how fast it goes. The Egli to me was just a one time deal for fun..... but forget about getting on it and traveling for distance because it was not built for that..... though you could if you were a masochist. As I have said.... the bike was for going out for a spin on the back-doubles,
scaring yourself silly, and coming home.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Rip, that sounds like my norvin, the rapide is fast enough to be fun, but if the norvin had the same performance I reckon I would be VERY dissapointed, if it don't scare you in every gear-you have FAILED! do you dig it? Roy.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Well in the context of information for nothing, I often give a talk entitled "What you have always wanted to know about astronomy but have never dared to ask." Any information that I have on astronomy is free for the asking but let us not clog up this Forum with non motorcycle stuff.

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
Talk

I do not think giving out information on astronomy is in the same ball park as Vincent advice. Say you have a cylinder head with a rocker tunnel so worn locking rocker
bolts won't hold it secure and you ask me how to fix it. Well the answer is simple: you sleeve the "tunnel" back to the original dimensions so the rocker bush is held tight.
Simple right? Talk is cheap. Now, to actually do it:
Lean to be a machinist…….$$$$$$$
Buy a good milling machine……$$$$$$$$
Buy the tooling necessary for boring…..$$$$$$
Buy the lathe and tooling to make the sleeve $$$$$$$
Buy the precision measuring tools needed $$$$$$$
Spend hundreds of man hours designing the jig to hold the head with "tunnel" dead in truth with the mill quill $$$$$$$$$
Build the jig from raw material $$$$$$$
Now do as you were advised: sleeve the head.
I advise folks with practical answer's and don't waist my time with advice only a Vincent specialized machine shop can repair.
So, like you…. for free….. I can say sleeve the head.

Last edited:

timetraveller

VOC Member
I agree with you 100% Rip. No one is suggesting that you or anyone else should do work for nothing, although many of us do to help each other. But the information, thats the thing. If you were to tell us how you managed to make a fully equipped, unstreamlined, 1,000cc road bike do over 150 mph that is a totally different matter to doing all the work for us.