RIP's NEW TOY

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
And while he is at it he can tell us what he did to get a road equipped 1,000 to go so far over a 150 mph that he needed a Black Lightning speedo. A high speed in third does not mean that it is going to go faster in fourth or fifth. It depends upon the gearing.

timetraveller

VOC Member
The thing is Roy that if one calculates the acceleration, jerk and jounce of the valves with that lift and with a standard Vincent cam profile (Mk I or Mk II) then one is doing terrible things. This is without the sheer mechanical problem of what to do with valve springs valve spring caps, upper and lower guides etc, If you look at pictures of the Irving Vincents which in their two valve per head format have even more lift they have had to do some very serious mods to the valve spring caps etc. Let us see what speed you get when your new machine is completed. If it significantly exceeds 150 mph I will buy you a beer and as I am from Yorkshire you will realise what a very generous offer that is!!

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
John Renwick built Reg Bolton's engine for him, don't know what lift on the cams, but it did well at Daytona 16 years ago !!
RB1.jpg

RB2.jpg

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
T T, I was actually refering to Rip's claim to have acheived .525 lift. I have "only" got .460, which has caused enough issues.( all now overcome). But will gladly accept the offer of refreshment. Roy.

timetraveller

VOC Member
No problem, but you have got to exceed 150 mph first in road trim!! If you can do it and Rip can do it then some of us need to know what we have been doing wrong so that we can put it right before it gets too late.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
T T, how to prove it? fancy looking over my shoulder at the digital speedo? Regards, roy. When I showed Rapcom the pictures of it in bare metal and outlined the engine spec, he reckoned it to be a "fire-breathing monster"

D

Deleted member 1085

Would be good to have some input from Rip. As with most bikes, the more we know about them, the more we understand our own bikes. How's about it Rip? If Rip isn't reading this thread, can someone tell him about it?