F: Frame RFM Bearing

Martyn Goodwin

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Took delivery of new bearings and cups today. Weird - Timken brand but Made in Australia! - tomorrow the fun starts sans welding equipment but with a nice HD 2 Kg hammer!

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
The deed has been done! Thanks Greg for your advise about cleaning up the recess in the RFM before starting - it was choked with powder coating - the powder coating was even on the outer face of the bearing cups.

Did I ever mention I HATE powder coating - it has NO PLACE on any machinery - save it for your Garden Furniture.

Anyway - the replacement of the bearings was none to soon as the
RFM Bearing Old n New.jpg
existing bearings were so brinnelled (?) that they could not rotate freely actually seizing at one or two points. Left is one of the original cups, complete with powder coating on its outer face and on the right a new cup. Those lines on the old cup are actually groves driven into the cups bearing surface by the rollers!

Interesting observation - my Comet left the factory in December 1951 fitted with Jeager metric wheel bearings number 30204, front n rear but regular H22 SKF imperial bearings in the RFM.

Removal of the RFM bearing cups was scrape as much powder coat out of the bearing recess as possible then with the RFM supported on a stout wooden block I used a 3/4" diam drift and a 4 Lb hammer.

Again I used the hammer to panel beat the old F42/1 washers back into shape and had to open up the hole in them after that so the axle could slip through.

Refitting I used an old inlet valve as the drift to help guide the new cups into place with judicious use of that same hammer.

The numbers on the cups were K.09196 and the Bearing K.09047. SKF Made in England came out and TIMKEN Made in Australia went in.

Garth - I lived in China for a year or so in the late 1990's and today again checked the map but could not find a town there called Australia; no town called TIMKEN either.

Albervin

VOC Member
The problem is that powder coating is so cheap! You can coat a whole bike in black powder coating for less than $400. I may powder coat my touring guards .

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
why is powder coating a pain in the A%$?
One can shield off with sticky tape and put old scrrews in threads, no problem, one can get a prime coat, than color, if e.g. the fit needs it one can file it nearly down to the bare metal, better than with paint.
I do new machine parts roughly machined, than coat and later do all the drillings, fine fitting surfaces so very clean n neat.:)

maybe only disadvantage is as one says if not good cleaned up by blasting or so, there can be problems with rust underneath, never experienced though.

only really disadvantage is to get it offfff when a new coat has to be done.:mad:

cheers

see Y at Dinner n Dance with me Clogies yes