F: Frame RFM Bearing

Martyn Goodwin

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
So while waiting on other work to be finished off I decided to take a look at the RFM/swing arm bearings aka H22. What I found was serviceable but rough in the RFM - were it meant for a wheel bearing it would be terrible. So a clean, flush and reassemble suggested that the H22’s are near the end of their service life. No big deal – standard bearing bits, readily available.

Here is the question – what’s the technique for removing (and refitting) the inner bearing cups (K.09196) that seem to be pressed into the RFM?

I’m sure that a prior owner’s gusto with powder coating will not help make it any easier with my frame!

greg brillus

VOC Member
If you haven't got a press, then you need about a 3/4" diameter punch, and you will need to hit the inner F42/1 washer in opposing hits either side until you remove the bearing, make sure the bore outboard of the bearing outer race is clean and free of paint, burrs first. You can then panel beat the inner washers flat again, they are really only a spacer anyway. Then do the same per other side, they can take some effort to remove, but generally not too bad.

stu spalding

VOC Member
If you haven't got a press, then you need about a 3/4" diameter punch, and you will need to hit the inner F42/1 washer in opposing hits either side until you remove the bearing, make sure the bore outboard of the bearing outer race is clean and free of paint, burrs first. You can then panel beat the inner washers flat again, they are really only a spacer anyway. Then do the same per other side, they can take some effort to remove, but generally not too bad.
If you buy new washers F42/1 check the bore before fitting. A well known spares supplier sold me some that were undersize. Cheers, Stu.

davidd

VOC Member
Martyn,

If you have access to a Tig welder just run a beat around the inside of the race. When it cools it should drop out or a little tapping should remove it. It will save the washers behind also.

David

nkt267

VOC Member
Watch out when you knock the bearings out, like the wheel bearings there may be aluminium spacers between the inner washer and the bearing. There were on mine, check the numbers on the outer races before ordering.

Black Flash

VOC Member
I did just as David Dumfey suggested but with a simple mig / mag welder.
Run a full circle line of weld bang in the middle of the outer bearing track.
Once cooled down the outer race simply drops out

Bernie

davidd

VOC Member
Thanks Bernd. You can use a MIG, but it can be messy with all the spatter. I keep a can of spray cooking oil handy. If you spray the parts that can get spatter and wipe off the bearing race itself, then nothing should stick.

David