Restoring the last of the series "A" Comets.

STEPXL

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi there Steph, These are some pictures of the Comet's cases and parts which I gave to Wayne Jacobson today who does the vapor blasting, this brings them up looking like new. They will be ready in a few weeks and then I can start reassembling the gearbox and the engine bottom end until I get the head sorted out and the cylinder barrel.
P1010358.jpg
P1010359.jpg

greg brillus

VOC Member
Does anyone know the diameter of the head of the inlet valve........?........ I have a new one here, but the valve seems to only just cover the seat in the head. I compared it to one of the original valves out of it and it does seem a tad smaller. Can anyone also confirm the seat angle is 45 degrees on the pre-war heads/valves. While I'm at it........Dose anyone know what the type of black finish it is that was on the various studs and other hardware, was it like bluing on a gun barrel. I feel the parts could be cad plated, but I'm sure I have seen the remnants of a black finish on the original studs......Not sure about the other nuts/bolts and washers. Thanks in advance.............Greg.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Does anyone know the diameter of the head of the inlet valve........?........ I have a new one here, but the valve seems to only just cover the seat in the head. I compared it to one of the original valves out of it and it does seem a tad smaller. Can anyone also confirm the seat angle is 45 degrees on the pre-war heads/valves. While I'm at it........Dose anyone know what the type of black finish it is that was on the various studs and other hardware, was it like bluing on a gun barrel. I feel the parts could be cad plated, but I'm sure I have seen the remnants of a black finish on the original studs......Not sure about the other nuts/bolts and washers. Thanks in advance.............Greg.
Valve seats are 45 degrees, head diameter 1.780" on the inlet valve, black finish may have been Coslettising: "boiling the steel parts in a solution of 1oz. iron filings and 4 oz. phosphoric acid per gallon of water"; source, "Engineering Workshop Data" pub. Caxton 1947. no guarantees, but I have lots of other recipes, send a sixpenny stamp for the free leaflet. Cheers, Charlie.

greg brillus

VOC Member
I cant imagine the black finish being as good as cad plating, though once assembled you shouldn't be in contact with the parts to wear it off anyway apart from the affects of the atmosphere, and I really don't want to go down the stainless route, I'm not a fan of stainless on bikes save the spokes I guess. Thanks for the replies. I knew I guy once who was "Coslettised"..........He said...... "It really hurt"..............;).