Restoring the last of the series "A" Comets.

A_HRD

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
That's a shame ,I collected some parts from him in June for the Marston sunbeam register and I was going to get him to make me some fishtails. He was a very interesting man to talk to, he told me most of his life history in the hour i was with him.

Yes indeed, that is very sad. Alan was a talented and helpful sheet-metal worker of the old school. A few years ago I got him to make a small batch of Series A 500 chain-guards and rear No. plates. Very nice they were too. All long gone now of course.

Peter B

greg brillus

VOC Member
His Daughter informed me that he had a chest infection and other things, I must admit when I heard that I started to think the worst. I never had the chance to meet him, but I have worked alongside many a skilled tradesman of the old school type, and been lucky enough to have learnt from them. It is a great shame when they all disappear one by one. I will be getting back to the company in Western Australia this week about the mudguards and get the ball rolling on the replica guards they are making. Should start making them very soon. I have also been very busy building one of the "A" twin replicas as well, so that with the original prewar Comet alongside, both compliment each other very well.

Andy B

Non-VOC Member
I am about to get my Meteor tank painted in ford imperial maroon, anyone got any dimensions/sizing or other information I can give to my painter? I'm not anally retentive or anything but if anyone has anything they can post that would be appreciated. Regards Andy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy B

Non-VOC Member
Coincidence........I am just about to get two of them done, as of early next week, and in the Maroon colour as well.
I too have two tanks but thinking I may get the second painted all black as this is how the bike left the factory, I really like the maroon so will fit it and keep the other as a spare. I have lots of good pictures but no actual dimensions to scale.

greg brillus

VOC Member
I've seen a lot of great pictures of original and restored tanks on here plus other info sent to me, and I have a pretty good idea of how they are. It varies quite a bit from early to later tanks as well. The finish of the main colour and the pin striping are quite easy but the shape and size of the "D" around the HRD decal is the part that takes a bit more attention. Certainly from what I've seen of the early tanks this "D" shape is much longer and different top to bottom, and not so symmetrical as on the later ones including the same shape on the post war HRD tanks. This is where early original photos are a huge help, and on the Comet I'm doing here, I'm going to go with a style that is more symmetrical. The line where the colour finishes appears to be approximately not less than 10 mm and not more than 13 mm down from the soldered seam. This then has the gold pinstripe probably covering half on the paint and half on the stainless sides and not more than about 3/16 ths in width, remember that these tanks are quite small so a large in width pin stripe would look too much. If you want to see some good photos of original bikes just PM me your email address and I'll send you some. Cheers..............Greg.

Andy B

Non-VOC Member
I've seen a lot of great pictures of original and restored tanks on here plus other info sent to me, and I have a pretty good idea of how they are. It varies quite a bit from early to later tanks as well. The finish of the main colour and the pin striping are quite easy but the shape and size of the "D" around the HRD decal is the part that takes a bit more attention. Certainly from what I've seen of the early tanks this "D" shape is much longer and different top to bottom, and not so symmetrical as on the later ones including the same shape on the post war HRD tanks. This is where early original photos are a huge help, and on the Comet I'm doing here, I'm going to go with a style that is more symmetrical. The line where the colour finishes appears to be approximately not less than 10 mm and not more than 13 mm down from the soldered seam. This then has the gold pinstripe probably covering half on the paint and half on the stainless sides and not more than about 3/16 ths in width, remember that these tanks are quite small so a large in width pin stripe would look too much. If you want to see some good photos of original bikes just PM me your email address and I'll send you some. Cheers..............Greg.
Unsure how to PM you Greg but that would be great send to .... anbarton@tycoint.com