Restoring the last of the series "A" Comets.

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Ok anyone who wishes to view the newly made series "A" steel mudguards can now view them by going to the Vintage Steel website and scroll down the bottom to Vincent (probably should be HRD) anyway the three sets I need are in the post and on their way tomorrow. I need the postage details of those who ordered either full sets and/or just fronts only, and these will be sent directly to you from the manufacturer in Western Australia. The postage rates are excellent for example, to post to the USA is about 85 USD and the set to go to Melbourne in Victoria about $50 to $60 AUD. Those involved can just PM me to get this underway. Cheers for now................Greg.

Andy B

Non-VOC Member
Hi Greg, just back from Bendigo swap. Caught up with vintage steel and arranged for my set to be posted down, now I just need to settle with you for cost, let me know what is easiest for you I am happy to oblige . I picked up a BTH magdyno unit whilst there which I may use on the Meteor if I cannot get the Miller set up to scratch

Andy B

Non-VOC Member
What was his impression of the quality of the workmanship? Whilst I thought the quality of steel and rolling was good, I was less impressed with the shaping and swaging, for the prices I was seeing, the quality is not quite what some would expect. For example, the Vincent series A guards should be perfect, let's face it they are a very basic guard, $900 per set is ok for most but some would see as very expensive, I have lots of 1930s Ariels, and they have made a front and rear set for I think was approx $1500, and whilst you can see there is a ton more work then the series A guards, $900+ for a rear only, I would think most would plump for the Indian copies at half that for the set. Having said all that, they seem a great bunch and it's great to see we have the resource here on our door step and they are actually getting it done without the year long wait.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Three sets arrived home today, I think they turned out very well, the shape and profile are excellent. The other sets or front only guards will be finished this week and posted off to each owner.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Ok with regards to the two HRD cover/inspection plates that go over the clutch center and the magneto pinion drive.......should the background be black or the same burgundy/red as the top/bottom of the fuel tank..........? Also with the alloy oval spacers that go either side of the gearbox mounts, I have one original here which is 1/2 inch thickness, should the bottom one be the same. If so I am missing one and I will get some made. They will be made from solid alloy and I will drill/tap the small locator dowel using a short shank bolt arrangement rather than the original cast in dowel which is fragile, this original one is broken off. If anyone needs any let me know as I will probably make up a small batch of 10................Also are any of you in need of the cylinder hold down studs and long matching 3/8 CEI tube nuts to go with same, as I might get a small batch of these made soon as well................Can someone tell me what the lower thread that goes in the upper case is, is it 7/16 Whitworth..............Any help much appreciated...............Cheers........Greg.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Yes, Bruce, just that I have a vague memory of Bob Stafford mentioning 7/16" B.S.F. on "A" crankcases somewhere and I probably remembered it for the same reason you made your remark. I don't mind being proved wrong, which is why I suggested the gentle trial of the spindle end. The old dictum of "first, do no harm", must prevail.

stevee

VOC Member
Yes, Bruce, just that I have a vague memory of Bob Stafford mentioning 7/16" B.S.F. on "A" crankcases somewhere and I probably remembered it for the same reason you made your remark. I don't mind being proved wrong, which is why I suggested the gentle trial of the spindle end. The old dictum of "first, do no harm", must prevail.
Hi, Bob Stafford said in his Ab Initio Update "studs are normally 7/16"BSF at the bottom and 3/8" CEI at the top end. A decent steel should be used, EN16T or similar"