Misc: Stands Request for a Mudguard Measurement

Magnetoman

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I'd greatly appreciate it if someone who has an original mudguard on their Vincent twin, owns a tape measure, and has a few minutes to spare, would measure the length of the arc from the rearmost part of the hinge to the hole for clamping the stand.

1174MudguardRear.jpg

Thanks very much in advance, and a Happy, Healthy, and Peaceful New Year to all.

Alyson

VOC Member
Hi MagMan, I measured mine, albeit I'm not sure if it's OEM Genuine Vincent Birmabrite or not, but I came up with 14" from tip to center of hole. That's approx. ,or, ish in German Oh, and mine's a Rapide. Not sure if the single and twin fenders differ any. Happy New Year, Alyson

Alyson

VOC Member
Oh, I measured mine from the tip of flap, or, between the hinges, so top of fender to center of hole.

Magnetoman

VOC Member
To be clear, you measured from between the hinges, so your measurement would be a few inches longer than on the diagram I attached?

The reason I'm hoping for an "original measurement" is to avoid the possibility of copying a hole someone drilled in the wrong place years ago.

Magnetoman

VOC Member
Ayson was the person who responded first. Since he's Canadian I corrected his measurement for thermal contraction of his ruler, adding 1" to the number he reported , but he must keep his Vincent in a heated garage because that correction was unnecessary.

greg brillus

VOC Member
It is dictated by the PR 27 Number plate bracket.........just like the absolute starting possition for the main rear guard starts with the lifting handle and the chain guard being in place first. I've just installed no less that four (4) full sets of new guards........Good luck.

Magnetoman

VOC Member
It is dictated by the PR 27 Number plate bracket....
Greg, thanks for that information. It's not clear from either parts book why the number bracket plays a key role. But, if that's the case, is it that the top of it bolts to the hinge, so the bottom bolts to FT151/2, which in turn determines where the hole for FT115AS goes?

LicenseBracket.jpg

greg brillus

VOC Member
Hi there Charlie, Happy new year to you, and all on here for that matter.......Yes you are correct. It is a bit of a step by step process as you can see........Which guards do you have........the new ones available are much thicker alloy sheet than the Birmabrights........This does cause a few issues with setting up the rear flap, given originally it has a forward "tongue" that pivots under the main guard section. On the newer guards this makes the alignment difficult as the flap then sits under, or inside the forward guard, thus it is forced bellow and the two do not align so well. If you pre drill the holes and then find that the number plate bracket is not right.......This might cause undue stress on these sheet metal parts which will cause them to crack in service. I wish someone could supply new guards to the same spec as the originals, but my understanding is that the material has not been available for years now........A bit like maluable iron.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
A couple of teeny weeny things to note here as well. The rivets, 591, originally 3/32" x 3/8" should, as shown, be fitted from the inside of the guard and peened and filed pretty well flush on the outside as they may otherwise foul the mounting tag on the rear stand. I believe, but cannot prove, that a 1/4" B.S.F. thin nut, part no. 731, should be fitted outside the rear l.h. hole in the FT154 to lock the rearmost (should that be rearmore) FT155 stud.Incidentally, this 731 nut is also fitted to the Twin magneto cowl stud, but the "C" Parts list missed a digit. The rear stand itself should be just loose enough to be pushed down on its Thackeray washers, as any real slackness here will allow the machine to wag its tail in destructively great amplitude. I have original Simmonds stop nuts and rivets. Give me a yell if you need them. It seems that the original PR27 number plates are right angled in side elevation, so this might determine where your holes get put. A further guide might be an original inner reinforcing strip. Cheers.