Misc: Stands Request for a Mudguard Measurement

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I suppose the arc of a mudguard is a bit like measuring jelly there is a link on the Vincent spares website/shop (I think the twin mudguard set part number) leading to notes on how to alter the radius of a guard

craig

VOC Member
Rear flap lower hole layout is determined by the hole pattern of FT151/1.
The inside of my rear flap measures 13-1/8" between 1 &2, using a cloth tape.

MO37FT151-1.jpg

Happy New Year

Magnetoman

VOC Member
Thanks very much to everyone who replied. The information in these replies will be very helpful in minimizing the number of extra holes I drill.

Magnetoman

VOC Member
Interestingly, the mudguard closely follows a circle from ~8:00 to 2:00, but then the frame forces it to deviate significantly. This isn't an artifact of my particular mudguard since the various stays, and the frame, determine the arc. Not having the proper shape is a design "feature" of the Vincent.

1200MudguardRear05.jpg

Alyson

VOC Member
as above, just checked the spare I have and this is what I found... and that's Miss Alyson BTW

Magnetoman

VOC Member
and that's Miss Alyson BTW
As the father of a motorcycle-riding daughter, I'm duly chagrined for having unthinkingly
defaulted to 'he'.

Next question, does the license bracket go on top of, or under, the hinge? My guess is, on top of. --- edit: I've now found photographs showing the bracket on three machines, and all are on top of the hinge ---

LicenceBracketHinge.jpg

Last edited:

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Yup, on top, with no washers under the setscrew heads. I've only seen two original PR27 number plates and both were one-piece. Was the bolt/ washer/ nut/ Thackeray washer/ nut at the bottom of the PR27 a dodge to limit vibration? Like most things P.E.I. drew up, there must have been a reason. And another little nuisance, I've noted differences in the centre hole lengths of the FT22/4 intermediate stays and moving them back toward the tail of the machine gives the actuating spring on the stop lamp switch a better line. All very tricky, ain't it?

Magnetoman

VOC Member
I've only seen two original PR27 number plates and both were one-piece.
My PR27, from an autojumble in England 25 years ago, is one-piece. Does this mean new reproductions are in more than one piece? More importantly (to me), does this mean mine is an original one?

Had Greg and others not stepped in and stopped me from using that 12¼" measurement, the hole for the rear stand clamp would have been ~½" too low.

1240MudguardRear.jpg

However, it looks like that hole would have just missed the one needed for the bottom rivet, and would have been covered by the FT151/2 steady plate, so no one would have known...

Michael Vane-Hunt

VOC Member
In the first post you asked for a distance from the rear of the hinge to the C/L of the tommy bar hole. I have measured all five of the rear flaps I have. Three are original Birmabrite. The 3 PR 27 I have are also the original one piece type. All of my rear mudguard flaps are 12 1/4 inches as per the red line with arrows in the first post. However on a new mudguard I would go with Greg's answer as the PR27 would dictate as to where it's lower mount will be and would allow for variations of different PR27's.
20220101_173700.jpg