Reporting Threads as Offensive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
A very well measured letter Tim. I certainly did not say that I knew what any of the past executive members' views were on various subjects but merely that in my opinion they would not have been impressed with the GCM. The manner in which the meeting was held was light years away from just five or six years ago.
Making assumptions on costings seems pointless as the club has agreed to meet the payments and there is nobody else who can/will do it. If the costings of MPH should be dissected and divulged then what about the costings to the club to pay for travel and accommodation expenses to Bill Parr so he can attend regular meetings? Hopefully this will now cease due to Zoom meetings available.
You say nothing about the harvesting of proxies. You sought your proxy only three or four days prior to the meeting; you would have known that was in the contravention of club rules and also not within the spirit of the meeting. You obtained your proxy from a section in turmoil that has just had a "coup" ousting the progressive executive to vote against the proposal. That section is now in disarray, much like the VOC.

Albervin

VOC Member
I think he should be removed from the Exec. As the Exec is ‘all mates’ then I suspect this won’t happen and nothing with come if this.

This is the problem, there needs to be a debate to reach an agreement and not just mates chatting and doing what’s best for them.
Arthur is not a member of the executive. He obtained a proxy via somewhat devious means and did not seek any direction from the section who supplied his proxy. He owes that section a formal apology for misrepresenting them at the GCM.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
Arthur Farrow is not a member of the Executive Committee of the VOC. He obtained a proxy I understand from the New South Wales Section without divulging what he knew was coming to a vote and the NSW Section did not and was not asked to give their opinions on any of the matters before the GCM this also done later than the one week prior notice being given to the Hon Secretary. Absolutely shameful. In fact he is just a Club Member like most of us but also is the Chairman of the VOC Spares Co.

I could suggest that (on the same basis that he did about Graham ie not a shred of evidence) an investigation be started into what his relationship with the Spares Co is and how he may benefit monetarily and have access to possibly obtain favourable terms on the access and purchase of members machines coming for sale at the Spares Co. Perhaps even go so far as determining what benefits he obtained in writing the insurance policies for the assets of the Club over many years.

But I hope I am, as what we all should strive to be, an honorable person, and would not do so without some very solid evidence of any wrongdoing.

PaulB

VOC Member
Firstly I do not agree that there has to be apparent unity on any committee if someone disagrees.
Of course people should be allowed to express an opinion and if appropriate, back it up with evidence, but convention and good business practice dictates that once a majority decision has been made by a board, or in this case, an EC, all members of the board (EC) fall in line with it, at least to the outside world.
Secondly we have been assured that this forum will continue following the launch of CE, approximately at the end of this month. And yet I have been led to believe that Graham has, or will be, ordered to shut parts of it down at some stage.
"Led to believe" amounts to nothing more than heresay and does nothing to advance the discussion on this occasion.

Much of what TK said was presented as facts rather than opinion. I have no knowledge either way, but much, if not most of it should be proveable either way from ECM minutes. If I heard correctly, he cited, apparently multiple cases, where GS was out-voted 10:1 during EC meetings. That would suggest one of two things, GS was either a lone voice fighting the good cause, or he was seriously out of step with the rest of the EC.

One thing is beyond doubt, Graham will be a very tough act to follow as MPH editor.

Paul

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
This conjecture quite frankly seems pointless to me, and clearly it is very corrosive, if it is already known by the decision makers what is actually going to happen to this existing forum, then why not just release that information, if nothing is going to happen to its detriment then surely the problem simply goes away.

I think it says a lot about the measure of the man that Graham does stick to beliefs and principles, it obviously has not made him popular with most of his detractors, and that can’t have been a particular pleasant position to be in, but it should be remembered, we are not running a parliamentary whip system here, you are allowed to cast a vote in favour of your own principles.

PaulB

VOC Member
we are not running a parliamentary whip system here, you are allowed to cast a vote in favour of your own principles.
I completely agree, but once the vote has been cast and a majority decision reached, all parties should fall in line with that decision.

If the management and conduct of the GCM was symptomatic of the overall management of the EC, therein probably lies the route of the problem.

Paul

timetraveller

VOC Member
In perfect world with honourable people PaulB might have a point but I really do not think that that applies as much to motorcyle clubs as to national governments. Even then recall the 'Gulf War' A pack of lies were told, people marched in the streets against the war. Nevertheless the war was started, private companies and indivduals made fortunes out of it and thousands were either killed or maimed. I doubt it but it is just possible that a few more dissenting voices in parliament might have changed things. As far as I am aware no one is suggesting that CE is not proceeded with. Whether it will turn out to be good value for money and will ease the internal running of the VOC only time will tell. What causes consternation on this side of the argument is that the CE side of this have chosen not to engage significantly in the discussions and, as far as I know, have not explained why they find a fault with this forum. 'Led to believe' might not be the best way of explaining the situation but as I cannot pass on peoples names who have told me things in confidence then that is the best that I can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.