Reporting Threads as Offensive

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member

I completely agree, but once the vote has been cast and a majority decision reached, all parties should fall in line with that decision.
One would think that the EC might take note of the users of the Forum not wanting to give it up for an inferior product (as demonstrated thus far) and reconsider their decision.

The annual costs have already been pledged to be covered by the users, so a link from CE to the Forum would not cost the Club a penny.

PaulB

VOC Member
I was purposely keeping out of the forum debate because I have nothing of value to offer, other than opinion, and I think we may already have more than enough of those. :)

Just one small point, and aside from any functionality differences, there would be a management and administrative benefit of having a forum that was linked to the membership in some way so that access rights etc. are automatically determined by an individual's membership status, rather than having two completely separate systems.

However, as the MD of frontline technology company, I probably have a difference perspective on IT than most people on here and I'm more inclined to be pragmatic, than emotional.

Paul

Last edited:

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
Arthur Farrow is not a member of the Executive Committee of the VOC. He obtained a proxy I understand from the New South Wales Section without divulging what he knew was coming to a vote and the NSW Section did not and was not asked to give their opinions on any of the matters before the GCM this also done later than the one week prior notice being given to the Hon Secretary. Absolutely shameful. In fact he is just a Club Member like most of us but also is the Chairman of the VOC Spares Co.

I could suggest that (on the same basis that he did about Graham ie not a shred of evidence) an investigation be started into what his relationship with the Spares Co is and how he may benefit monetarily and have access to possibly obtain favourable terms on the access and purchase of members machines coming for sale at the Spares Co. Perhaps even go so far as determining what benefits he obtained in writing the insurance policies for the assets of the Club over many years.

But I hope I am, as what we all should strive to be, an honorable person, and would not do so without some very solid evidence of any wrongdoing.
…and despite this, the EC continues to do nothing.

Incompetence or Corruption?

timetraveller

VOC Member
There is a way to deal with this but some might find it offensive. Suppose that someone was to ask AF whether he was going to stop beating his wife and defecating in the bed. I suppose that the respose would be along the lines of 'do you have any evidence of this' to which the AF type response would be a roll of the eyes and a shrug of the shoulders. It seems to be a technique he favours.

Last edited:

Tim Kirker

VOC Member
You say nothing about the harvesting of proxies. You sought your proxy only three or four days prior to the meeting; you would have known that was in the contravention of club rules and also not within the spirit of the meeting. You obtained your proxy from a section in turmoil that has just had a "coup" ousting the progressive executive to vote against the proposal. That section is now in disarray, much like the VOC.
I was the properly accredited GCM proxy for the Victoria Riders Section before the recent changes took place. When I learnt of the changes, I contacted June Weir, the newly appointed President of VRV, to ask if she/they wished me to continue in that role. I explained the position I was going to take on the question of Graham's nomination, sending her a copy of what I was going to say. She asked me to continue as their proxy since, without knowing the points I was making, they were already questioning whether Graham's nomination met the bar set in the rules for Honorary Membership. No doubt you know better, but my understanding is that, without going into the whys and wherefores, the previous officers appointed June as President, immediately before resigning. She is convening a meeting of members to elect new officers. Does that count as a coup? I am not aware of any proposal to change their rules, which require that any member should first be a member of the VOC. If such a change was agreed, I would resign as their proxy.

On a sort of related matter, you query Arthur's credentials as proxy for the NSW Section. I haven't seen anything to judge either way, but how come you, a member of that Section, were not carrying the NSW vote? Had you done so, there could have been no question of Arthur, or anybody else, usurping the section vote.

Tim Kirker

VOC Member

I was the properly accredited GCM proxy for the Victoria Riders Section before the recent changes took place. When I learnt of the changes, I contacted June Weir, the newly appointed President of VRV, to ask if she/they wished me to continue in that role. I explained the position I was going to take on the question of Graham's nomination, sending her a copy of what I was going to say. She asked me to continue as their proxy since, without knowing the points I was making, they were already questioning whether Graham's nomination met the bar set in the rules for Honorary Membership. No doubt you know better, but my understanding is that, without going into the whys and wherefores, the previous officers appointed June as President, immediately before resigning. She is convening a meeting of members to elect new officers. Does that count as a coup? I am not aware of any proposal to change their rules, which require that any member should first be a member of the VOC. If such a change was agreed, I would resign as their proxy.

On a sort of related matter, you query Arthur's credentials as proxy for the NSW Section. I haven't seen anything to judge either way, but how come you, a member of that Section, were not carrying the NSW vote? Had you done so, there could have been no question of Arthur, or anybody else, usurping the section vote.
Apologies for the unforgivable error of mis-quoting the section name. They are of course Vincent Riders of Victoria. I pressed the Post Reply button too soon - which a lot of people seem to do.

Tim Kirker

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
I just wanted to express a couple of points after reading, watching and listening to the months of back and forth on these on going issues.

A debate is defined as follows:

"Debate is a process that involves formal discourse on a particular topic. In a debate, arguments are put forward for often opposing viewpoints. Debates have historically occurred in public meetings, academic institutions, debate halls, coffeehouses, competitions, and legislative assemblies. It is a formal type of discussion, and often includes a moderator along with an audience"

I recall from School Debates that the moment either side started with Ad Hominem / personal attacks that the debate was lost. I guess in this instance we all as a club have lost the debate as the personal attacks go back and forth.

I also wanted to express that most of the EC and people who have been involved in this debate are dare I say older members of the Club or at least older than me. I have been involved since 2013 across a couple of sections internationally and to give some context I am 44. I would ask us all to consider how this is benefiting the people who will ultimately inherit the club. Most of the younger Vincent Owners I know are active on social media. They will not use an out dated forum like the CE example. I have a large network of friends that are Vincent Owners internationally through instagram some of whom are Club members and a lot that are not. If we as a club provide a substandard product what we end up with is a lack of engagement. A lack of engagement for our club means a drop in membership and we all know what the outcome will be. As a Trades lecturer if I stand in front of my classes and give boring lectures, my class attendance drops. If I provide a fun, engaging and interactive experience I have a high attendance in my class.

So the debate that sections, section organizers and the EC should be having as I see it is this. How do we update our computer software to support the needs of all club members moving forward? By all means improve the systems and update them, but don't do it at the sake of the people who will be members in the future. I would urge us all to think about how future Vincent Owners Club members will engage with each other.

CE works for the club website and shop great use it. It has a poor forum, don't use it and keep the current one. Is it really that hard?

Let us put aside the personal issues that have taken place, we can't undo whats been said. What we can do moving forward is stop, listen to each other, engage our brains, drop the ego and treat each other kindly no matter what our personal views are.

Thanks Gene.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.