FF: Forks Refinishing Girdraulics

Sakura

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I would never use powder coating on anything with tubes. I stripped a featherbed frame a few years ago that had been powder coated (what a nightmare). I found that the bottom tubes were corroded though under the powder coating. It had sealed the moisture in and there was no evidence that there was a problem until the coating was removed.
If it was painted it would have bubbled the paint and so the problem would have been more evident.

Just my experience, I hate the stuff and it has no place on frames. I would not use it on anything structural if I was going to use it ( but I wouldn't go near it).

Mark
Not disputing it, just mystified. Why would the frame be wet to start with - in the rust? If so, why wasn't it blasted properly? If not, why didn't the heat drive off the moisture? Finally, if it was sealed how did the essential oxygen get in?

stu spalding

VOC Member
Not disputing it, just mystified. Why would the frame be wet to start with - in the rust? If so, why wasn't it blasted properly? If not, why didn't the heat drive off the moisture? Finally, if it was sealed how did the essential oxygen get in?
It depends whether the powder coating is epoxy or nylon. Nylon is hygroscopic, it absorbs water, which may explain the rust. Cheers, Stu.

vibrac

VOC Member
I am lucky that I have a very clever man who is called 'nick the blaster' he always cleans and prepares my frames with an inteligent appropriate blast he is good I have seen him clean car bodys that look like rust lace work.
You need to have clean metal , warm and dry before thin powder coating, luckily Nick the blaster is near Pete the powder and in case you are wondering my 27 Scott frame and my 26 Douglas frame tubes still show proudly through the paint the slight rust pits that they gained over their ninety odd years of use and missuse -because thats how I like them to look. Nothing looks worse than excess makeup on an old woman.

timetraveller

VOC Member
This is one of the well known errors on the original drawings. Every one I know has the nut in front of the fork leg.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
The illustration in Richardson shows it in the front, so I'll go with that. That's the way I have it, but I got nervous. Thanks for the help.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Is the threaded end of FF43 at the top of the Girdraulic blade at the front or the back? This shows it at the back http://coventryvoc.co.uk/parts_list_drawings/m063.htm I looked in Original Vincent by our Chairman and it has bikes with it both ways!
Thanks Bruce, All mine are wrong !!, Rats !!, I thought it was a good idea to keep the weight of the stainless domed nuts behind the steering head, For good steering, That's my story and I am sticking to it !!. Cheers Bill.