FF: Forks Refinishing Girdraulics

Black Flash

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I Have a good friend that has his own powder coat business for many years and he is doing a great job in applying a 2 layer shiny black powder which looks great. Over the last years technology has moved on and you can get very good looking coating which is quite thin compared to 10 years ago.

Saying this anyone of you who ever had the chance [joy] to see one of Tom Barker's BSA's knows what the real job looks like.
He painted all his bikes with a brush in his shed and even the most beautiful restored machines I have seen in shows and museums until today were not able to beat his standard.
In modern times we seem to forget what can be done by craftsmanship and dedication.

Last edited by a moderator:

greg brillus

VOC Member
In my opinion it is not a decision that should be taken lightly either. A hasty decision can lead to disappointment down the track ........So it were.

davidd

VOC Member
Harley used to do a clear coat powder coat over the color powder coat. At the time I was having problems with the quality of the silver powder coat on products that I was responsible for. Harley felt they had to do it, but for us it doubled the cost of the powder coat process, which we did in house.

David

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Take a piece of about (non critical) 3/8" diameter rod with at least one good right angled end. Put it into one side of the open tube and tilt it so that the good end touches the inside edge of the bush. Tap with a hammer on the outer end and slowly move/tilt the rod so that it touched the bush in different places. Keep tapping and it will just pop out.

I used a 5/16" rod I had already and it worked a treat! It took longer to go through my shelf of offcuts than to do the work.

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
Well having weighed up all the advice I had the Girdraulics Aqua blasted then masked them up with heat proof tape & plugs with the intention of having them powder coated but decided to call in on a mate who has a spray workshop that does custom & restoration work on the off chance he`d fancy spraying them for me & he was happy to do them but I ended up waiting around four weeks but think it was worthwhile.
Hopefully I`ve added some pictures though my grubby hands have taken some of the shine off so I`ll have to have a polish up.
Aqua Blasted Girdraulics 2.jpg
Aqua Blasted Girdraulics 1.jpg
Aqua Blasted Girdraulics 2.jpg
Girdraulics Refinished 1.jpg
Girdraulics Refinished 3.jpg

Attachments

• Girdraulics Refinished 2.jpg
    Girdraulics Refinished 2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20170722_131807_204.jpg
    IMG_20170722_131807_204.jpg
    800.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20170722_133324_255.jpg
    IMG_20170722_133324_255.jpg
    956 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20170722_181412_122.jpg
    IMG_20170722_181412_122.jpg
    624.7 KB · Views: 21

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Well having weighed up all the advice I had the Girdraulics Aqua blasted then masked them up with heat proof tape & plugs with the intention of having them powder coated but decided to call in on a mate who has a spray workshop that does custom & restoration work on the off chance he`d fancy spraying them for me & he was happy to do them but I ended up waiting around four weeks but think it was worthwhile.
Hopefully I`ve added some pictures though my grubby hands have taken some of the shine off so I`ll have to have a polish up.View attachment 16763 View attachment 16762 View attachment 16763 View attachment 16764 View attachment 16766
Just done mine with Etch Primer from Halfords and Simoniz Engine Enamel, Looks good, But I don't know how long it will last !, Still it will be easy to touch up ?. I put the shocker on first, To stop any damage, But fitting the legs had trouble !, I found the Shocker, Koni, "Soft type " , Out of alignment, Maybe bent !!, I think it came off the back of another one of my bikes, Had to grind a bit off the sides of the top mount, It moves OK, Also had to fit short Eye Bolts, Because the Top Link was touching the Shocker, The Link had the Cutaway for the Shocker, But still no good, By a long way !.
Good luck, Bill.

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
Just done mine with Etch Primer from Halfords and Simoniz Engine Enamel, Looks good, But I don't know how long it will last !, Still it will be easy to touch up ?. I put the shocker on first, To stop any damage, But fitting the legs had trouble !, I found the Shocker, Koni, "Soft type " , Out of alignment, Maybe bent !!, I think it came off the back of another one of my bikes, Had to grind a bit off the sides of the top mount, It moves OK, Also had to fit short Eye Bolts, Because the Top Link was touching the Shocker, The Link had the Cutaway for the Shocker, But still no good, By a long way !.
Good luck, Bill.
I had clearance problems with the AVO damper as well so removed the shroud & replaced the top link, D8 I think, with the clubs stainless one I`d already bought so going to run it without the shroud.
Mine was clearanced but like yours not enough.