Recommissioning a '48 Rapide

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Just had a look at my Amal book and can't find 389-10 ??
389-18 = 1.1/8".
389-19 = 1. 3/16".

Last edited:

PaulC

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Definitely 389/10 and 1.1/8" (Black Shadow?) and as a standard Man too will do what I can to keep them on with some tweaking of the manifold for the angle or the fins as you suggest. Yes, I have had a couple of rides and its a bit hairy breaking and keeping the throttle open while changing down, all a bit much when more used to a Harley with controls on the other side! If I can get the throttle stop screws back it it will make adjustments easier to set the idle and stop the popping. The front spark plug is showing it is flooding.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
When I was riding a BMW K100 as a shopping Bike !, For 10 years and going back and forth to a Twin Vin',
I found I was in too high a gear for a bend etc, Was a bit dangerous sometimes.
The Vin' is so high geared, You have to get the begger down the gears well before a bend, Or I tended to over run it :D , Also helps the Brakes as they are not the best !.
The head of those mono' screws are very big ??, Maybe grind them smaller a bit ??.

When this new petrol came out, I found it made my Bikes run too rich, And would wet plugs after 10 miles ish.
I sold my T.T. Carb's because of it, Big Mistake !.
I have found I needed weaker slides, Some don't agree and say my Bikes are too oily,
They are a bit knackered , Like Me, But run fine now.
On a Vin' Twin you can be still running on the slides at 70 mph, If it's a good one.

PaulC

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Its never simple. The guy inserted a screw flush into the throttle stop hole and then bashed the chamfer with a hammer to make sure it can't be turned or extracted. My Rapide might look nice in the lounge as a feature!!

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
There are some Sods out there , Worse than me !.
Have you got some small easy outs ?,
Drill it bigger than the screw for a 1/16" or so to clear the alloy bashed over bit ??.
The other thing is drill it out and make a new thread and screw,
Sometimes I have drilled a little smaller and managed to clean it up.
Don't be put off, You can sort this stuff out , Just needs a bit of thought.

I have had Bikes in the house before, They never rust in there !.
But the Wife's here now,
My "D" Comet with no flywheels would look nice up on the wall ??.
Can we have a photo of how close the Carb' is ?.

PaulC

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Attached is a photo showing the gap448 and carb456 . Another 455 showing the screw problem on the other carb.

Attachments

• DSC02456.JPG
    DSC02456.JPG
    198 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC02455.JPG
    DSC02455.JPG
    107.6 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC02448.JPG
    DSC02448.JPG
    130.3 KB · Views: 23

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
My D Rapide has the same carbs. They are 1 1/8" and are supposed to be for a Shadow but that's what my bike came to me with in 1976. The front carb is just as close to the cylinder/head but there is room for the throttle stop screw once it's screwed in far enough. Once it's screwed in enough to engage the slide, the head just clears the fins. I'll try to get a pic later today.

vibrac

VOC Member
I think some new carbs would be a good starting point I know I got gifted a new TT once and I fitted it thinking my original was OK but the new one just looked better. Boy what an improvement! lets face it the Monoblock is made out of monkey metal

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
They look like home made manifolds to me ?, Nothing wrong with that but as Gary said they had problems with the proper stuff.
If they are steel would be easy to weld ??. I think the "D" ones were Alloy ?.
Don't know if you are a welder, But it looks easy to me to cut a sideways V bend and weld ?.

The screw looks to me like it can be screwed in ??.