Recommissioning a '48 Rapide

PaulC

Active Forum User
VOC Member
I am hoping that a bodge won't be necessary after I refit the cleaned carbs. I'm waiting for some Amal parts though and will then be able to try them again without throttle stops (Plan A). I'm still wondering how those with TT carbs managed to adjust the tickover if no stops? Try different jets? Plan B is extract the jammed in screw, fit the throttle stop screw, hope there is enough space and then modify the head as suggested by Gary and Robert. Plan C is to modify the manifold and I think I have enough space in the tank cutaway to play with, but that is a last resort. At least with all the advice I have these options to have a go at.

Nulli Secundus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Yes it's been rattling on and not many have read it I suppose the trick I must learn is to ignore the welcome to new members entry in new posts unless the reply count starts to rise
That is what I do. If no replies just mark the page as read.

vibrac

VOC Member
I am hoping that a bodge won't be necessary after I refit the cleaned carbs. I'm waiting for some Amal parts though and will then be able to try them again without throttle stops (Plan A). I'm still wondering how those with TT carbs managed to adjust the tickover if no stops? Try different jets? Plan B is extract the jammed in screw, fit the throttle stop screw, hope there is enough space and then modify the head as suggested by Gary and Robert. Plan C is to modify the manifold and I think I have enough space in the tank cutaway to play with, but that is a last resort. At least with all the advice I have these options to have a go at.
The answer to the TT problem is who wants a tickover on a racing bike? thats why we all made a godawful racket in the paddock whuruum wurumm whurumm you cant hear your engine but you can watch the rev counter rise and fall. Naughty boys who used TT carbs on the road filed an aproximate 1/4"X1/4" slot in the back of the slide it was a suck it and see process and even back then quite expensive if you overdid it.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
TT carbs managed to adjust the tickover if no stops?

I haven't done it myself, but I have read that the cable adjusters are adjusted to hang the slides. Believe I've also read on the Forum that there are difficulties from doing that.

vibrac

VOC Member
I haven't done it myself, but I have read that the cable adjusters are adjusted to hang the slides. Believe I've also read on the Forum that there are difficulties from doing that.
good luck synchronizing that with two slides its bad enough with closed throttles

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
The idea is with carb's shut, T.T. You get max engine braking, Down through the gears.
And if you have ever raced a Vin, You need all the help you can get ! :D .

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
With the carb's in your hand look down the hole and see if the slides close ? , It doesn't need much of a gap to give you a tick over ?.
I can't see why that screw that is just below the surface, Can't be made to work ?.

PaulC

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Vibrac and Nulli have a point, long threads get a bit tedious. Just to say I have extracted screw ready to fit throttle stop and am confident I will sort the problem of idling with all the good advice, one way or other.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Needs Must !
There is a letter shaped thing in the top right hand corner, Where you can send a private message,
To a forum member, As far as I am concerned until a fault is fixed It doesn't matter how long it takes,
That is what we are here for ??.

Last edited: