F: Frame Rear number plate/brake light Rapide

danno

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
be leave me when I say that you number plate will crack in exactly the same place due the weight of the large rear light unit. It has happened to me twice in the past, with the total loss of the whole rear number plate assembly.
stumpy lord

Didn’t think it was a common problem and the new light unit is very light.
Mine broke at the join due to the lower bolt coming out.
There are a couple of bolt holes where a badge is mounted so could use those
to fix a metal plate.
Just need to figure out how to bend it to the same shape.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
be leave me when I say that you number plate will crack in exactly the same place due the weight of the large rear light unit. It has happened to me twice in the past, with the total loss of the whole rear number plate assembly. what I did was reinforced the unit by riveting a steel plate to the under side of the unit, not welded, because it tends to make the metal brittle.
stumpy lord
Is there a huge difference between the weight of the Miller stop lamp and the Lucas unit, I would think it has a lot to do with the level of vibration your engine generates and at what rev range it occurs, I have never had one fracture, twin or single.

highbury731

VOC Member
I didn't get a Miller rear lamp with my bike, so I had a look at period rear lights to see what appealed. I wanted a lamp which was somehow period, was visible from the side and had more light area than standard. (Those standard Millers are ridiculously small and dim, hardly giving any warning at all. Bicycle lights are VASTLY brighter). It should also be nice to look at....

What I settled on was the Lucas 529, which was fitted to the Triumph Tiger Cub and enclosed Series D Vincents (yes, it's a Vincent part!!!!). The curved shape is elegant, and nicely follows the lines of the number plate mount. The three bolt holes line up very nicely indeed with the holes provided for the original Miller. It's a bolt on fitment, it goes on without adjusting the standard holes at all. The only downer is that it doesn't have a built-in reflector, so you have to fit one separately - as you do with the standard Miller.
Paul

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I was told , The number plate holder is the same on a Velo', Anybody know if true ?.
I wonder if using the rear mudguard flap a lot, Would stress the Plate holder ?.
Thanks Paul, Forgot I would need a reflector. Cheers Bill.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Friends have complained about my standard tail light in the day time not really showing up when braking even with LED board, so I have fitted this, a Ford model A tail light, 50% larger than the Miller, only done a few hundred miles with it so far but on South Yorkshire roads and nothing broken yet !!
SDC15328.JPG

Ignore the date, it certainly wasn't then !!

Last edited:

vibrac

VOC Member
I worry more about the stop light than the tail light
I fitted a strip of red leds under the bottom of the rear numberplate it hardly shows its just like a thin transparent plastic petrol pipe- untill it comes on when you brake!

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I had an oblong reflector with two brightness of LED's in, which could be wired for tail/stop but the wires broke, must get round to fixing it

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Friends have complained about my standard tail light in the day time not really showing up when braking even with LED board, so I have fitted this, a Ford model A tail light, 50% larger than the Miller, only done a few hundred miles with it so far but on South Yorkshire roads and nothing broken yet !!
View attachment 29301

Ignore the date, it certainly wasn't then !!
I think your Ford tail light is rather beautiful, but it does not address the issue of side facing illumination, which I think is quite important.