F: Frame Rear number plate/brake light Rapide

danno

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Why not buy a cheap mig', And a 4" grinder with a flap wheel, And have a go yourself.
It's so much fun to be able to make tools etc and mend things.
Lots of info on youtube, On how to weld.
It's not too hard.
Have a play with some scrap metal, Try to weld 2 things the same thickness, To make it more easy.
Good Luck, Bill.

Thanks
Good ideas.
I have a home made bench grinder but unfortunately no bench to put it on (recent house move).
Also have a Futura 140 arc welder but no skills.
Short of a metal turning lathe, I’ve got most tools to do jobs on the Vin and my other bikes. Just need to sort out a basic workshop.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Arc is not good on thin stuff, A hand held 4" grinder with a flap wheel, Is only about £25.
But like Vincent's, Welding is a drug, You can't stop playing, Making things, Well I can't.
Could save you some money too. Cheers Bill.

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member

danno

Non-VOC Member
I’ve had the plate welded by a member of my local bike group.
I need to order a new rear light from Paul Goff but unsure if the old one in the pic was a pattern or genuine Lucas L564.
There’s no markings on the backplate.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

Last edited:

timetraveller

VOC Member
From your picture it is clear that the rear light was not the original. Copies (but not exact) of the original are/were available from Vehicle Wiring Products. The original have the disadvantage that they do not show up clearly when viewed from the side. The Lucas, or copies are much better in that respect and you might just as well buy the whole light (£8.57) rather than struggle to find just the plastic cover.

danno

Non-VOC Member
From your picture it is clear that the rear light was not the original. Copies (but not exact) of the original are/were available from Vehicle Wiring Products. The original have the disadvantage that they do not show up clearly when viewed from the side. The Lucas, or copies are much better in that respect and you might just as well buy the whole light (£8.57) rather than struggle to find just the plastic cover.

Thanks for the reply.
Yes, I was referring to the Lucas light but wasn’t sure if the old one was a copy or not.
I think it is though.

danno

Non-VOC Member
Number plate mount welded and tidied up, just needs paint (other post under ‘black frame paint’). New pattern Lucas light from Paul Goff which is identical to what was fitted before.
Thanks

Attachments

• 6E25387A-0EA8-4A55-AF71-A095238E568B.jpeg
    6E25387A-0EA8-4A55-AF71-A095238E568B.jpeg
    281.3 KB · Views: 35

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
Number plate mount welded and tidied up, just needs paint (other post under ‘black frame paint’). New pattern Lucas light from Paul Goff which is identical to what was fitted before.
Thanks
be leave me when I say that you number plate will crack in exactly the same place due the weight of the large rear light unit. It has happened to me twice in the past, with the total loss of the whole rear number plate assembly. what I did was reinforced the unit by riveting a steel plate to the under side of the unit, not welded, because it tends to make the metal brittle.
stumpy lord