Preferred non genuine frame/chassis for 1000cc engine

Big Sid

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Sid again . Forgot one detail . The alloy disc has a thin O ring in a groove around its outer face , assists in resisting oil passing across , and is quieter in operation .

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Sid here again . Not far off subject but our Vincati is nicely equipped electrically . Up forwards in the GT instrument housing top face I managed to encorporate a miller Ammeter , two double throw toggle switches and one LED lamp . Got a VDO tach in there too .
On the left. side just past the clutch dome is a SS master panel with a keyed main switch , another toggle shutting out the electric starter If desired , and another LED indicating that position is on . Twin fuses , one to the starter circuit , the other feeding the main trunk line protect all systems . A Series D Dist. System is used . Gives instant starts .
A Halogen HL bulb up front and a parking lamp . In the tail lamp I managed to mount twin small sockets , one each side of the center big socket , these twin small bulbs come on with the parking system and so give town lights with the big bulb off to cut drain .
Stop light switches both front lever operated and foot brake which ever is applied . I laid out this wiring system and was really cuffed that it all worked as planned . I fed all ground leads to a braded car battery ground cable , this bolted to the motor and feel that this is important to its success .
I may describe the motor s power mods next .

johnmead

Non-VOC Member
Since I am using a pair of tapered Timken bearings there is a little more room outside of the outer bearing. I had a machinist make up a copy of the E229 mainshaft oil seal holder modified to hold a thicker, double lipped seal and should keep the oil off of the belt drive.

I also scribed the face of the engine pulley with timing marks for the front and rear cylinder so I can use a strobe to check timing. When I get the beltdrive cover I will make a plug similar to what the Norton Commando has along with a pointer for timing.

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Sid again . Forgot the handsome rubber base turn signals also fitted .
On to the motor internals . From the top . The inlet ports are opened out to 32 mm and carry near straight manifolds and carbs of the same size . The exhausts are raised and widened also . The Specialloid racing pistons are re shaped to give an actual 10.06 to 1 comp. ratio . Factory Mk 2 cams . The two port openings from sump to timing chest are enlarged by a quarter inch to quicken pressure leaving the sump from beneath the descending pistons . the breather slot is dressed a bit and it's hose is taken back to the Norton oil tank , there it exits through the tanks vent .
An original Picador 2 start pump worm is employed . Also the steel idler is carried on a Picador steel base .
The cranks main shafts , both sides , are roller pinned to the wheels to eliminate movement in the flywheels and the Mills pins are replaces with harder steel . The crank pin is a caged roller type , German INA slim rollers in steel cages and the pin ends and nuts are tacked to the wheels . The con rods are blueprinted to be in all respects identical , all markings dressed off and lightly blasted . This assembly can easily sustain drag starts if you were nuts enough but not very classy this being a grand but
Very powerful road machine by design . Neal Videans ESA double spring holder is employed to better cushion the driveline , also his rubber topped chain tentioner blade and both the dyno gear and ign pinion are his plastic gears . These result in a near silent running motor , just a swish of oil above the muted rustle of gears etc . Really amazingly quiet in operation . It's clutch is a Videan type 3 as earlier mentioned .
Bill jean designed a high flow anti sump valve for it , it's piston is pencil sized rather than a small ball , also did one for our Meteor but this one is a different shape , inline with the feed hose . I must state clearly that Bill Jean built this motor but we discussed every
deviation from stock and pooled our thoughts on every detail . He is a Master at this quality of work . Also builds racing Ducati motors . Sid .

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Sid here . Our racing failure s so far have been , Bonneville , one pushrod ate one ball end on the twin , and the single burnt out its coil .
At Ohio mile. The magneto had its stub drive end shaft break loose , began to wobble badly .
At Maxton mile , first runs there , exhaust valve seized up in the bottom guide .
Still we got records at all three venues , not great but some satisfaction in it . See the Record books for verification .
Between single and twin we completed 10 runs across the 5 mile course . That's 50 racing miles over the salt on our first attempts
there . Travel there and back home took 3600 miles . Done on a shoe string as was building the two machines .

pcavallo

VOC Member
Big Sid, I have just found a complete, engineless 750 GT Duke, but I need a twin engine! Any suggestion???

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
You have found a rare jewel . motors can be bought new , built of restored pieces , made out of a barn find . What's the price of the frame ? If serious I'll send you photos of our modified chassis and other details . What's your E address ? If Matt and I could do it and I was recovering from a severe heart attack you can too . Sid .

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Sid here . We recently obtained a set of CTs 2 inch twin Lightning pipes . I can't wait to try the old 1& 5/8s on the Vincati .
It's motor is built to Lightning levels , should be a bad beech ! Us old dogs still dream big dreams .