Preferred non genuine frame/chassis for 1000cc engine

Brian Thompson

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hello,
Is there a preferred frame/chassis for the 1000cc/1200cc engine? My friend wants to put the first engine into something more modern , like Honda VTR1000 chassis/frame. Is there a modern bike that takes the Vincent engine with ease?? To make my life easier that is. I know you want to send around the heavies to beat him into submission , but hey it's his dream. Just thought I'd ask while I'm cruising rolling chassis's on E-bay.
Engine 2 will be fitted into an original frame. If that makes you happy.
Happy Christmas. Cheers :)
brt650

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello brt650, The one to go for is the Egli, There have been some on e/bay recently, For me the standard Vin' frame is fine, If you already have one ? All you need to do to bring up to modern spec' is fit tele' forks and fully sprung rear seat, I used Norton Commando, But they are a bit (old hat) now, And to be honest they needed Bigger tubes. Cheers Bill.

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
May I remind you that the DUCATI. GT 750 chassis is a near natural for this purpose . Remove the front down tubes , make up top and rear plates and all bolts up quite easily , perfect allignment . Locate a tired GT and have fun ! Sid .

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
More on the GT swap . This results in a super smooth combination if you use a 60 percent balance factor , ours is near vibrationless . In fact this factor results in smoother running in ANY chassis combination if you enjoy a fast pace on the road . Contact Neal Videan in Australia for details . His other superior pieces upgrade in many ways , are found in MPH . His clutch is a beauty ! Sid .

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
For those interested I have on my pad some bare chassis photos and up close shots of the lower and foot control related bits .
There is considerably more room everywhere then with a Norton chassis , up top and in the rear . We used an 850 Commando oil tank sited on the left beneath the side cover , nicely tucks away there . There are other fiddling little chores to tackle but all doable .
Sid .

Brian Thompson

Non-VOC Member
Hello Big Sid,
I did read briefly last night about your Vincati. It's a very neat fitment.
I would be interested in seeing those photo's.
I have a Norton frame that has been already modified for the Vincent engine but my mate doesn't want to use it yet. That will be engine number 4.
I also come across this last night. A bloke making his own frame. Have you seen this or made a frame from scratch yourself?http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=46896
Thank you again,
Cheers
brt650

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
It's Sid . brt 650 asks about the Vincati . Send me an E mail and I'll send you views of chassis etc . Powerunit internals , etc .
sid@bigsid.com Never built another , or a frame fabrication from scratch . Sid .

Chrish

Non-VOC Member
Hi brt650,

I'm finishing up a VinCati at the moment, frame and cycle parts from disparate places, new crankcases and most of the internals. Not a very hard task, it goes together very well. If you require further information or should you be in Melbourne in the near future call me, only to happy to show where I'm at. I had help from Phil Pilgrim, he's built three VinCati's to date and has worked with Neil Videan. Neil's parts are all good. Send me a PM if you want specific photo's

Chris

Hello,
Is there a preferred frame/chassis for the 1000cc/1200cc engine? My friend wants to put the first engine into something more modern , like Honda VTR1000 chassis/frame. Is there a modern bike that takes the Vincent engine with ease?? To make my life easier that is. I know you want to send around the heavies to beat him into submission , but hey it's his dream. Just thought I'd ask while I'm cruising rolling chassis's on E-bay.
Engine 2 will be fitted into an original frame. If that makes you happy.
Happy Christmas. Cheers :)
brt650

johnmead

Non-VOC Member
I am also doing a Vincati, however I am using a 2005 999S frame with a 916 single sided swingarm turned over. Engine has Terry Prince 1200 top ends and a press together crank. Also a Quaife 5-speed, Alton, BT-H, Newby belt drive, Terry Prince MK5 cams with radius lifters and Tim Kinham 2-2 exhaust pipes and Micron cans. Everything is together and I am waiting on delivery of the Kiehin FCR39 carbs to see how I have to cut the 1995 Ducati 900SS fuel tank to clear the front carb.

Then it is off for some road testing and hopefully only a few changes before being taken apart and finished.