Preferred non genuine frame/chassis for 1000cc engine

johnmead

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Forgot to add a Grosset starter I had to add one because the engine sits higher in the 999S frame due to the increased suspension travel. The center of the crankshaft is set identically to the Ducati at 14.5 inches off of the ground, without the rider.

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Sid here . The center of the crank is the oil feed quill in the timing cover , and this should lie parallel with the front axle for best roll center and best handling ease , nimble roll over into and out of bends . Low CG . My experience anyway .

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Sid again . I mean the quill should lie in a line at the same height as the front axle nut . Or very close to this .

johnmead

Non-VOC Member
Ducati won 17 Superbike world championships with the centerline of the crank 4 or more inches above the axle. I think that they know a little more about this than others.

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
There's no doubt about that ! Perhaps with their L shaped engine differently positioned and having a super light crank assembly there are other things to consider . Weight distribution is far different between these two . Sid .

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
I have been waiting to see Johns creation for many years since hearing of his plans . Perhaps he will show us some photos of this exotic device ? Nothing like it I've ever heard of in all my years . Lets all give a resounding vote for him to show it off ! Sid .

Brian Thompson

Non-VOC Member
Hello John,
Did you go with the 30 mm belt drive or 40 mm ? I was going to get the 30 mm with the double sided belt ( to drive the generator) and get a 40 mm front pulley and some extra 40 mm belts just in case there was a problem with the 30 mm set up. The 30 mm and 40 mm clutch/drive assemblies are the same.
We went with the big pin crank to go with the 1200 kit. Had to get the cases machined for the larger cylinders and larger crank bearings.
Cheers
brt650

johnmead

Non-VOC Member
I went with the 40mm belt because of the increase to 1225cc (crank is also stroked to 92mm). I also got the Alton pulley for the double sided belt. I also have the 30mm main shaft with the two tapered Timken bearings on the drive side. That setup keeps the races from walking out.

One of the members of the, I think, Dutch section, is making new primary covers that will fit over the 40mm belt drive and clutch. I was able to move both the clutch and engine pulley closer to the engine by eliminating the spacers and cutting most of the threads off of the transmission main shaft to just take the nuts that Bob Newby sent. This gives me some space as I had to offset the engine because the smallest rear wheel I could get for the 916 single sided swingarm was 5.50 inches. I offset the engine to the right so I now have room on the left for the deeper primary cover.

John

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Sid here . Our Vincati has a twin lipped seal inside the alloy disc running on a hardened polished sleeve which replaces the oil scroll . Oil is brought in from the primary case by a cupped drilling which delivers to the outer lip and then returns through the balls on that left side back into the primary case . Lubricates both lip and ball race . Thus very little oil transfers from sump to the primary which runs ATF for the clutch s needs .