poor quality repop silencers

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Must Confess, I had the same as Mac' On one of my Twins, And took a Hammer to it !.
Where it is too close to the rocker cap, You can't see the dent, And it made it more easy to fit.
Cheers Bill.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
...... took a hammer to it where it is too close to the rocker cap! You can't see the dent and it made it more easy to fit.
Cheers Bill.
Over a dozen years ago I bought a set of second-hand pipes off eBay to get my Rapide build on the road and check that everything worked. They were sound pipes, probably original, no longer very shiny so probably somebodies cast-offs when they fitted new pipes. Like Bill, a quick tap with a hammer gave that bit more clearance where the rear pipe passes the front head.
I have had a set of new stainless pipes for a few years but haven't got around to fitting them ..... yet. Is it because the old pipes work and I've become quite attached to them or is it because I'm a bit reluctant to start to fit what might be a (shiny) can of worms? ;)

vibrac

VOC Member
With those ports the rule is if its getting stiff to turn STOP. And remember there are oversize exhaust pipe nuts around and oversize retapped threads, NB the thread is the same as the inspection caps.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Talking of threads, Just looked up Tracy Tools, I need an expanding Reamer for my 560.
15/16" to 1.1/16" = £14 !!!!, How can they do it for that price ?.
Cheers Bill.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
You must have a pretty good shop Gary, I never know what Oak is.
I used the inside of a big puller, Just blunted it off a bit and put it in the vise,
But it's not something you do every day.
When I think of the Bikes we built, In a small, Wood and Hard board shed, With a wonky Lathe.
Lucky Ron was a Welder, So could do things at Work.
But it is Good when things work out OK. Cheers Bill.
Should not have said, It's not something you do every day.
Just had to do another one, To me my new Comet looks so good, It made my 2015 Comet look tatty !.
But it's only the Down pipe, 40 years old and a bit rusty.
So I went to Armours and spent all my money, Have I said that before !. :)
They didn't have a Chrome one in stock, So She sweet talked me into a Stainless One,
Bit harder to make the Flange and it would not have worked had I made a straight cut, Had to put a bit
Of angle on it, Just hope it doesn't go too Straw colour too much.
Cheers Bill.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I tried something new on this one, Offered it up to the bracket, With the Silencer on the end, Lined up where I wanted the pipe to run.
Without the nut and with the pipe in the head and used a marker pen to draw a line on the outside edge of the hole, That showed me how much out it would have been if I had made a straight flange,
Then cut the end of the pipe to copy the angle, It just took the guess work out of it a bit.
Cheers Bill.

macvette

Non-VOC Member
I tried something new on this one, Offered it up to the bracket, With the Silencer on the end, Lined up where I wanted the pipe to run.
Without the nut and with the pipe in the head and used a marker pen to draw a line on the outside edge of the hole, That showed me how much out it would have been if I had made a straight flange,
Then cut the end of the pipe to copy the angle, It just took the guess work out of it a bit.
Cheers Bill.
Thats how I ajusted the front pipe on the twin, then do the rear same way

nkt267

VOC Member
Cheers Bill.
I use masking tape.