poor quality repop silencers

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
It is very difficult to supply pipes and Egli frames for Vincent engines. The position of the FT3's and the exhaust ports vary quite a bit from engine to engine. It depends a lot on the original shape of the parts and how many gaskets and plates are used. Then, you have pieces welded together and changed by the heat. It is amazing that there are so few problems.

Bill, Most folks have a hammer! I think you have posed for photos with yours. I find it easier to flange it with a hammer by holding against a steel table, but a piece of oak should do.

David

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
Oak! Yes. I made a tool, similar to the traditional steel one out of a piece of two inch oak. I bored a 1 5/8" hole, cut the wood in half and clamped the assembly in a vice. It worked fairly well and didn't mar the pipe as one would expect with steel. Oh. And I used both a ball peen hammer for making rolling the edge and a body hammer for flattening. The first strokes with the ball peen are disheartening. You get the impression that progress will never occur. But then it begins and you're off to the races. Nah. Would like that but the wife says I'm too old. My retort is that I won't be 78 'til next year.

Gary

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
You must have a pretty good shop Gary, I never know what Oak is.
I used the inside of a big puller, Just blunted it off a bit and put it in the vise,
But it's not something you do every day.
When I think of the Bikes we built, In a small, Wood and Hard board shed, With a wonky Lathe.
Lucky Ron was a Welder, So could do things at Work.
But it is Good when things work out OK. Cheers Bill.

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
Here's a couple of pictures. I can post more if anyone asks.
Gary

Attachments

• 20190727_135639.jpg
    20190727_135639.jpg
    665.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 20190727_135724.jpg
    20190727_135724.jpg
    694.3 KB · Views: 61

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
You might notice that the clamp on at the Y must have been loose. I tightened it after the first ride. I'll ride it some more and see if it's still leaking.

Also, the front pipe just kisses the cowl. Same with the rear pipe at the front intake valve pushrod area. I don't think it's a big problem but will look into it further when there's time. When will that be anyway?

My wife likes to put up routed wooden signs with all sorts of sayings. One of them is supposedly Scottish. "A thing that can be done at any time will be done at no time."

Gary

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Nice Bike, I think a good set of pipes can make a Bike,
If you have enough good thread on the front, Maybe use 2 sealing washers, Which might bring it away from the cowl A nats ?. I would use a bit of car Ex' sealer on the joint ?.
Funny you have a "C" cowl, I am just building a "D" 500, Using one of those, Always thought I would have to have a "D" one, But it must be needed for the Big type front mudguard ?.
Cheers Bill.

davidd

VOC Member
Yes, a lovely bike.

I think the steel mag cowl was a cost measure and it could be justified by the use of the distributor, which was possibly in need of a different cowl. Funny, I don't remember the big mudguard fowling!

David