poor quality repop silencers

Texas John

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
<<SNIP>>
So I went to Armours and spent all my money, Have I said that before !. :)
They didn't have a Chrome one in stock, So She sweet talked me into a Stainless One,
Bit harder to make the Flange and it would not have worked had I made a straight cut, Had to put a bit
Of angle on it, Just hope it doesn't go too Straw colour too much.
Cheers Bill.
Bill,
Spray some high-temp engine paint down the inside of the pipe before fitting it, and it may prevent the color change.
Best regards, John

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I am pleased with the Down Pipe, It has a very good Finish/Polish.
In the 70s I bought a pair of Twin Down Pipes, That had very bad Graining ?, Did not look good.
Cheers Bill.

erik

VOC Member
With my Rapide I have a different problem! The engine has 8,5 to 1 Pistons and megacycle camshafts. It runs and accelerates really good and powerful, but to my mind it is too loud. I have fitted the straight through and spiral baffle silencers from the Spares Company. With the straight through silencer it is no good, much too loud. With the s.b. silencer my friends don`t want to drive behind me for longer distances. Any ideas what I can do? Erik

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Fit a simple turn-out on the end to deflect the gasses/noise down or sideways. This is why you see them on lots of Harley exhausts, it really does work. Available from many car parts places.

vibrac

VOC Member
I have been down this road with the Grey Flash the limit on track days is 105Db my attempt which I may have mentioned before is 3" alloy with 1/4" wall and turned end caps of the same thickness the center tube is 2" perforated from a car exhaust company and the 1/4 annular gap is filled with wool packing Its heavy but it was 104Db at the last scrutineer bay
1571213910992.png

Ben used one of his off the shelf exhausts he sells for the flying bricks which he fitted because of time pressures on the twin racer for Cadwell it does sport a removable baffle but I honestly could not hear the difference with it in or out, it worked extremely well
1571214654966.png

My Trigrumph was far too loud for me with its off road silencer I extended the end pipe and closed off the end apart from a 3/8" hole in the end and then drilled 5/16 holes in the extension sides with a cross section area that equaled the original output area it worked a treat I believe in the Vintage era it was called a pepperpot silencer. Its an easy thing to try and upsets the purists which may be a bonus.

Last edited:

Albervin

VOC Member
My B Rap has 6.8:1 pistons. 48T rear sprocket. At 70 mph the bike wants me to change up. I have no idea what the revs are and I do not know what the balance factor of the crank is. Maybe I can rev beyond the vibration and all will be smooth but really, why bother? I know my Shadow will be way faster as I rode it in the UK with totally knackered valve guides and rings. 90 mph in 3rd was almost cruising and I think this will be my "fast" Vincent but the B Rapide has done thousands of miles at 70 mph in top with the leisurely gait that just wants to do another 100 miles before you stop. Isn't that what it is all about ?