Oil pump

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Vibrac asks " Perhaps someone can tell us at what speed relative to the main-shaft it rotates at with double and single worms?" A worm is a single thread and if the plunger has 15 teeth then there will be a 15:1 ratio between the mainshaft and oil pump plunger. If a two start worm is used then this ratio will be 7.5:1. The 15 teeth is from memory and should be checked and also from memory the 2 degree figure quoted earlier should be checked. I seem to recall that the figure was 8 degrees but cannot be sure at the moment.

clevtrev

VOC Member
So are you saying the wear is caused if OP36 is too long or, the scroll and the threaded hole is misaligned? :confused:
Cheers, John
All I was confirming was the comments made by others.
What I have done to overcome the problem, is to machine an undercut at the end of the parallel section of the tooth. This means that the worm can no longer be influenced by the pump, and so follows its natural contact point. pmp2.jpg
Which means now, I`ll be able to shape the form, rather than milling it with a cutter.
I suppose the problems that have arisen with the pumps, are due to the original design and position of OP36.
So now you can all get out in the workshop on Christmas Day and modify your pump.

Howard

VOC Member
So now you can all get out in the workshop on Christmas Day and modify your pump.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Trev, but my wife says she out ranks you, and I've got to stay in with the family and enjoy myself!!

Merry Christmas everyone.

H

nkt267

VOC Member
No No No..I've been out in the garage playing with the lathe and the Comet,,,Now that's a good Christmas..John