Newby questions please be gentle

Magnetoman

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Which originally started out as the Thury Swiss system.
a BA nut should be used on a BA stud and the same for metric. In my eyes anything else is a botch.
Yes, the British and the French seem fundamentally incapable of working together without friction no matter how many agreements have been signed. The reason is historical and relates to the development of the systems. I'm speaking of fasteners, of course.

Albervin

VOC Member
Spoke to Dennis Quinlan and he confirmed the studs were metric until the magnetic instruments were made. He then said "Why would you use a different system of threads for one area when all others were the (French) metric system?" He then told me what the thread for the 2 itsy bitsy screws holding the face onto the chassis was. I would like to tell you but await answers on the back of a £10 note.

clevtrev

VOC Member
Spoke to Dennis Quinlan and he confirmed the studs were metric until the magnetic instruments were made. He then said "Why would you use a different system of threads for one area when all others were the (French) metric system?" He then told me what the thread for the 2 itsy bitsy screws holding the face onto the chassis was. I would like to tell you but await answers on the back of a £10 note.
If you had looked at the drawing I posted, you would have noticed that they are M2 x .45 pitch.

Magnetoman

VOC Member
He then said "Why would you use a different system of threads for one area when all others were the (French) metric system?"
Why would BSA and Triumph switch to using metric bearings for many of their wheels? Because they were cheaper. Engineering decisions aren't always made for engineering reasons.

He then told me what the thread for the 2 itsy bitsy screws holding the face onto the chassis was. I would like to tell you but await answers on the back of a £10 note.
I gave all my pound notes to my older daughter when she traveled there last summer, and have only been in transit in Heathrow since then. But, I still have some French Francs that I didn't manage to convert in time. Would that be acceptable for an answer?

vibrac

VOC Member
In one post war french republic (they had so many in the 40-60's) they had a very nice currency francs in aluminium coins which made good light long lasting washers.....

Dean Grace

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
OK now for the next installment of silly questions, well actually one for now....

My father built a front wheel for the Comet using a Boranni wm-2/1.85-19 40 hole rim which I'm thinking is a 19" rim correct?, If thats correct I am thinking he was going to use an 18" for a rear does that sound right?

Dean Grace

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
OK no worries then I was a bit confused I had it in my head he was using a 20 on the front and a 19 on the rear hence my question.
Thanks mate.

Dinny

VOC Member
My Rap has 20/19 but left the factory with 19/19 so at the end of the day put on what you want. I prefer the bigger, narrower front wheel for looks and handling.