Newby questions please be gentle

clevtrev

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Trev, at the helicopter transmission factory that I worked at in 1966, they had what I think were called optical comparators to check tooth profiles, etc. Is that what you have?
Yes, I have two, one a much larger one that is on loan to another company, who also have one with a digital readout of the results, I will take a speedo over and take a picture. You have to remember, I have only been in engineering for 62 years, so I`ve still a bit to learn.

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
Dean I know your Dad many moons back at the Wagga bike rally's he use to bring a very early Vincent Rapide have you a photo of it , it had a chrome tank David

Dean Grace

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
David I am not sure about the Chrome tanked Rapide, he did have a Rapide at one stage but that was a long time ago, how many moons ago is it?
He did get around on it a lot.

Magnetoman

VOC Member
Here`s a little more information...[/ATTACH]
Now that I'm back from my latest trip I looked again at the drawing you attached and it's worthwhile pointing out it is not metric. It's French metric. What we've known as metric for the past 50 years is an ISO standard introduced c1965. Prior to that the Japanese, Germans, French, and others had their own variations on metric, many of which corresponded to the later ISO version, but some of which did not. As a case in point, the 2mm x 0.45 that Smiths used in this Chronometric drawing is not an ISO metric standard, but it is a pre-'65 French metric standard (the ISO standard pitch for 2 mm is 0.40 mm).

Albervin

VOC Member
And all I said was "a rogue metric thread" ;-) I will be talking with Dennis Quinlan on the weekend and ask him. What he doesn't know about Smiths instruments would fit onto the head of a pin.

Dean Grace

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
This thread has certainly tapped into some good info lets hope it doesn't die just yet I'd like to see it reach a greater pitch :D so we don't get bored...sorry guys I work at a place where we try to out do each other with word games.