Newby questions please be gentle

Dean Grace

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Well that what had me baffled as I could have sworn he was going to go 19 rear 20 front but have discovered he laced up a 19 for the front thanks for the input mate.

clevtrev

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Now here`s a funny thing. I took a couple of speedometers into my pals place to use his comparator, and the results of these were quite enlightening, one thread angle was 53 degrees, the other 55 1/2 degrees, so perhaps they`re made to be universal.

Magnetoman

VOC Member
one thread angle was 53 degrees, the other 55 1/2 degrees
French metric = 60 deg. and BA = 47-1/2 deg., so it seems these threads were made by a machinist who couldn't make up his mind and decided to split the difference: [60 + 47.5]/2 = 53-3/4 deg.

Dean Grace

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Pretty sure this is a couple of photo's of the original owner of the Comet I have, these where taken by my father a long time ago.
I recently got hold of the fellow who owned the Comet and he used to ride with dad regularly, he is going to find his photo's and send them to me so when I get them I'll post them up too.
bruce_purkiss01.jpg
bruce_purkiss02.jpg

Dean Grace

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
And here a couple more from around the same time I believe. I have set these as thumbnail images as they may be a bit big.
comet02.jpg comet01.jpg

Dean Grace

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Those last may not have worked as I would have liked so I downsized them to suit.
The barefoot young mans name is Danny he seems pretty chuffed to be sitting on the bike :)
comet02_150ppi.jpg

comet01_150ppi.jpg

Garth Robinson

VOC Member
Those last may not have worked as I would have liked so I downsized them to suit.
The barefoot young mans name is Danny he seems pretty chuffed to be sitting on the bike :)
View attachment 2705
View attachment 2706
I remember having to use one of those terrible 20 in.front tyres on the front of my twin in the early 70's while waiting for a decent one to arrive from Conways.I think it was an Olympic "Universal" It lasted an incredibly long time without showing any noticeable wear. I reckon they used the same compound to make their battery cases!