New Terry Prince billet frame

Monkeypants

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
My sense from hefting itand looking at wall thicknesses was, yes it is very strong. It is not light however, it felt considerably heavier than my Stainless UFM and RFM.. Terry and Fritz Egli Jr. have left a good amount of wall thickness everywhere. Made from 6061 billet there are no cast pieces or welds to reduce strength. As far as strength and rgidity of these parts go, it looks like overkill if anything. To maintain that level of rigidity through to the wheels, the frame pieces just need more connecting them than one tight 3/8" bolt and one loose enough to slide 3/8" bolt.
It may be that there are plans to add something there as this is a prototype. The seat support is also missing, no doubt there are plans for that.
Glen.

Last edited:

Magnetoman

VOC Member
But is it Strong enough,
Al is 3x less dense than steel,but the walls of the UFM look to be ~3x thicker than on a standard UFM so theweight must be pretty much the same. Also, the usual alloys of Al have ~3xlower bending moduli than steel, but with 3x thicker walls, again the stiffnessmust be pretty much the same. Tensile strengths of Al alloys vary quite a bit,but are lower in general than steel. However, the fact the walls are ~3x thicker mitigatesagainst this so I would expect this UFM to be at least as crash resistant asthe original. If you ran into something hard enough to bend or break this UFM, and ifyou regained consciousness, you would have worse things to worry about than abent frame while waiting for the paramedics to show up.

That said, whatproblem is this Al UFM supposed to address? Are there a lot more engines than UFMs sitting in garages? Are all the original UFMs silting up like thereservoirs behind many dams and is replacing them the only way to keep Vincentson the road? Is there some otherperformance advantage to the Al UFM that I'm overlooking?

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
These parts are for those wanting to build a monoshock Egli Special, 2013 style. Although not superlight, they are still considerably lighter than the bolted up Vincent UFM and brazed RFM. Probably a lot less expensive as well. A lot of thought has gone into these pieces, I did not spend enough time with Terry to get a grasp of everything he has done here.
These frames will likely end up with high performance big capacity Vincent motors made from all new parts using modern methods and materials.
As Terry says, not for everyone, but there is a small market there
Glen.

Last edited:

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I like the D top frame, As used in my Special, Nice and Simple, I think Mike White has done something like it, Cheers Bill.

clevtrev

VOC Member
My sense from hefting itand looking at wall thicknesses was, yes it is very strong. It is not light however, it felt considerably heavier than my Stainless UFM and RFM.. Terry and Fritz Egli Jr. have left a good amount of wall thickness everywhere. Made from 6061 billet there are no cast pieces or welds to reduce strength. As far as strength and rgidity of these parts go, it looks like overkill if anything. To maintain that level of rigidity through to the wheels, the frame pieces just need more connecting them than one tight 3/8" bolt and one loose enough to slide 3/8" bolt.
It may be that there are plans to add something there as this is a prototype. The seat support is also missing, no doubt there are plans for that.
Glen.
Maybe he`ll add the fork limit stops. I think the biggest problem will be keeping the oil in, the UFM does flex an awful lot.

Magnetoman

VOC Member
These parts are for those wanting to build a monoshock Egli Special, 2013 style. … These frames will likely end up with high performance big capacity Vincent motors made from all new parts using modern methods and materials.
Fifty years ago someone wanting a brand new high performance motorcycle had a choice that, for the present discussion, let's say was basically limited to buying a Bonneville/Lightning/Atlas (take your pick). So, if none of those offered enough acceleration/speed/handling/stopping performance for your taste tuning one of those engines, putting it in a better frame, adding aftermarket TLS brakes, etc. made sense.

Today there are a number of 100+ h.p. motorcycles on the market having excellent handling, twin front disks, amazingly wide tires, etc. Unlike the case 50 years ago, very few amateur riders even have the skill to ride one of these modern machines close to the limits of their performance. Because of this, other than nostalgia (which certainly can be a powerful factor), building one's own high performance motorcycle from a mix-and-match set of components doesn't seem to me to make as much sense as it did 50 years ago. None of this takes away from my admiration of that beautiful piece of CNC-carved Al.

Magnetoman

VOC Member
What you are seeing, is a fairly straightforward piece of machining. Something that some of us do for a living.
Right. But it is still something that someone like me who doesn't do machining for a living, but who has used manual lathes and mills for many years, can still admire.

vibrac

VOC Member
Almost like the cad machine making new girdralic blades from blocks of alloy.....

Pity they are not advanced enough to make Bramptons overnight yet :)