New Shadow motor now what do I do?

Ducdude

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Eric,

I am a little surprised the bike worked so well without the muffler. The MK2 cams clearly would have done so, but the 105 cams in the past have seemed to work better with a muffler. If you aren't a fanatic about the look, a SuperTrap seems to work well and is somewhat adjustable and readily available. There is some use in having a back up muffler.

I know the Harley boys seem to get away with loud pipes, but no one else does.

David

I have also been told that the 105's would do better with a bit of back pressure but obiously a lot less then I did have. I am hopefull a suitable muffler will show up befor the US rally... If not well the super trap is an option but god are they ugly to my eyes any way.

Much thanks for the tip..

Loud Pipes piss people off. (but boy they are fun)

Cheers,
Eric

Ducdude

VOC Member
Emgo makes a neat little shorty reverse cone megaphone that costs only about $50 and might even work better than the spiral baffle. It would make you legal (barely) until the club gets stock again.
I have one of these megas on the Glenli, the motor pulls hard to 5500.

http://www.nichecycle.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=80-84030&type=0

you choose to use one of these, you might want to get some moulded earplugs as well, otherwise you may become known as DeafDude!;-)

Glen

Thanks Glen I will add it to the list of possibilities but I hope there is a proper silencer out there for me to buy soon..I only have a few weeks till the rally.

Cheers,
Eric
What? What was that you said?? Huh?
Deafdude:)

Last edited:

Ducdude

VOC Member
Hello Eric, If you want it to fly !! End the silencer at the rear wheel spindle. I still think there is lots more to come, A few years ago I put a smaller carb's on, 28mm from 1 3/16 TTs and thought I would be using a lot more throttle, But in the 70s I am still on 25%, It's my old l/ning racer, Now a road bike , But it's only mk11s and 9 to 1 pistons, Keep trying cheers Bill.

Thanks Bill I will keep at it... Just need a new muffler. It can only get better from here.. Heck even the brakes are working better now..:)

Cheers,
Eric

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Hi I have the same lack of go on my twin so i tried the goldie silencer off my norvin,this made a big difference,i have noticed that patric godet seems to use these on his egli's.see thread"silencer for series c comet" earlier this year.
Chris.

vibrac

VOC Member
When I fitted longer springs to a special motor with high lift cams some time ago I seem to remember setting them up and checking the poundage to a certain figure I still have the couple of bits of wood a turn buckle and a spring balance on my wall that I used but can I find the figure I set them to? -of course not!
I seem to remember an installed seat poundage of 110 lbs but I could be wrong, does any one know any real data for the Vincent

Mark Fisher

Non-VOC Member
Eric, I had the exact same issues with silencers and power (i have megacycle cams) and I started off with the standard spiral baffle silencer but the bike (shadow) had no power. The solution was a straight thru silencer from coventry spares, which looks the same but allows the engine to breath, the difference was amazing and instant. It is a bit noisier but not too bad...no, lets be honest, it sounds flippin' great!
mark

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
You can do it to any silencer, Just cut a flap out of the rear lower part, and remove the blockage !! I fitted a goldstar one to my special, Killed it stone dead !! But not any more. Cheers Bill.

Ducdude

VOC Member
Eric, I had the exact same issues with silencers and power (i have megacycle cams) and I started off with the standard spiral baffle silencer but the bike (shadow) had no power. The solution was a straight thru silencer from coventry spares, which looks the same but allows the engine to breath, the difference was amazing and instant. It is a bit noisier but not too bad...no, lets be honest, it sounds flippin' great!
mark

Thanks Mark,

I have 105 cams that like a bit of back pressure. So I bought a muffler from Coventry with a 1.5 inch as opposed to a 1.75 inch hole though the straight though and it should be a bit quieter which will be nice on the long rides...

Still much better than the 0.25-0.5 hole in the Burgess..

Mark BTW what did you ever do with your spiral baffle muffler? If you still have it I would like to try it out and compare if you are willing.

Thanks,
Eric

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
When I fitted longer springs to a special motor with high lift cams some time ago I seem to remember setting them up and checking the poundage to a certain figure I still have the couple of bits of wood a turn buckle and a spring balance on my wall that I used but can I find the figure I set them to? -of course not!
I seem to remember an installed seat poundage of 110 lbs but I could be wrong, does any one know any real data for the Vincent

I've forgotten the numbers quoted, but the main complaint was that with very little use the club springs lost their grip.
Rechecking spring pressure on bikes that had just a few months of use showed spring pressure had already dropped to something like 50% of the installed pressure reading.

Glen