New Shadow motor now what do I do?

BigEd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I thought that one of the advantages of the Vincent valve gear design was that the valve springs were well away from the heat source. If springs are losing their "spring" that sounds like a material specification problem or wrong tempering process.
I've forgotten the numbers quoted, but the main complaint was that with very little use the club springs lost their grip.
Rechecking spring pressure on bikes that had just a few months of use showed spring pressure had already dropped to something like 50% of the installed pressure reading.

Glen

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Yes Ed , it is a metallurgical problem. On rechecking the R&D springs after considerable use, pressures were found to be almost the same as installed pressures. Supposedly the original factory springs were also very good, but they are well past their design life now in most cases.
Glen

Last edited:

davidd

VOC Member
R/D Springs

I think the quality of the metal has much to do with the spring as Ed says. The spring on the left is of unkown origin, but installed by a Vincent builder. The one on the right was the spring I installed from R/D. The short spring probably started out the same size, but it only lasted a few races.

100_0407.jpg

It is R/D or RD not R&D, just in case you are trying to find the right site:

http://www.rdvalvespring.com/

David

vibrac

VOC Member
Well you learn something every day
I was recommended a supplier for the racer and now only by looking at the R/D web site at the distributor I do I find I have fitted the R/D springs already