New Amal Premier 900 series Carb for Comets

chankly bore

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
"For the first few hundred miles of its life a new machine should be treated with great care, and in particular high speeds should not be attempted until the main working parts have properly bedded down during 2000 miles." Rider's Handbook. pp. 13 and following. Still good advice after 60 years.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
"For the first few hundred miles of its life a new machine should be treated with great care, and in particular high speeds should not be attempted until the main working parts have properly bedded down during 2000 miles." Rider's Handbook. pp. 13 and following. Still good advice after 60 years.

Sage advice- I have now almost 800 miles since the new top end.

M

craig

VOC Member
Hi Martyn, Thanks for this info. These Amal slide needles (622/124) have identity grooves above the normal 3 or 4 clip grooves.
click long photo below.
AMAL_622-124IdentityGrooves .jpg
I pushed my spray tube out of my 928, put a cutting disc in my Dremel and am "Nortonizing" my spray tube.
Cheers
Craig

Last edited:

davidd

VOC Member
I would consider Nortonizing my spray tube also. Particularly if it involves a party with lavish gifts!

David

greg brillus

VOC Member
Hi Martyn, Are you running any kind of air filter...? This will richen things some what, no matter what kind/type of filter it is.......cheers......Greg.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Sage advice- I have now almost 800 miles since the new top end.

M
Just a clarification . My entire motor now has over 5,000 miles on it since a TOTAL rebuild that included ALL bearings, bushes, pinions etc.

Due to poor setup of the carb (by yours truly) which resulted in an overheated and thus failed piston, the motor has had a (another!) new liner and piston fitted. 800 miles have been covered since then.

M

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
. Sorry no photo this time but the plug looked just fine, not rich, a nice tan colour on the ceramic - this was with a 250 main. I will be seeking out a 260 main to try on the next run as my ($$$$) experience has me preferring to be a tad on the rich side. :)
Genuine Amal 260 main jet installed today along with (another) new sparkplug. I have a 1,000 mile trip planned for the weekend of November 30 and will report back after then. I also am still trying to locate a Dyno owner who is willing to cooperate with me.

Martyn

craig

VOC Member
I located a table for pilot sizes for the new Premier series
Pilot Jet .015" 622/50212 1 ring
Pilot Jet .017" 622/50217 2 rings
Pilot Jet .019" 622/50219 3 rings
Pilot Jet .021" 622/50221 4 rings
Pilot Jet .023" 622/50223 5 rings

Martyn, I thought you pushed out the spray tube and cut it down, I see you can just order this from Burlen. How many grooves on the pilot jet?
AmalPilotRJSizes.jpg

So premium means hard anodized slide, standard needle for pilot (not extended), standard two groove main slide needle, etc.
Using the Jim Mosher manifold, did you alter the head opening? make it bigger?
http://www.performanceindian.com/VinMenu.html
Thank you for this testing and explanation.
I am looking over this Premium 928 I tried and it appears it had a pilot with no grooves when I was told it would a -17.
Cheers Craig