FF: Forks More Brampton Woes

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
On the late 1930,s works TT machines there were travel limiters fitted to the forks clearly visible in a press photo to prevent denting the tubes on full extension. So the works were aware of the issue as were Velocette on the girder forked KTT, racers. In the late 30,s In Ontario the Sparks Brothers fitted Norton rebound check springs their very fast TT. Replica.

The ones on the left?

DF599183-99DA-444C-8B4F-EF3EF5B23E57.jpeg

Cyborg

VOC Member
The ones on the right look like norton 16h grinder springs.
As far as I know ( but stand to be corrected) the ones on the right were used on everything including 16H. Ones on the left were used on International and Manx.
Edit... don’t think they came standard on Inter, but were made available for sale.

Last edited:

Robert Watson

VOC Member
I am pretty sure this is my TTR (or mostly what I have with some TTR 110 thrown in for good measure!) on an Ontario (Sweet Caporals were a Canadian brand of cigarettes) dirt track in the late 40's or early 50's and although the picture is printed in reverse, (Picture flipped horizontally. BigEd) you can just make out the check springs on the outside of the Bramptons.
TTR Ontario dirt track photo.jpg

Attachments

• TTROntario dirt track backwards photo.jpg
    TTROntario dirt track backwards photo.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 21
Last edited by a moderator:

ogrilp400

Non-VOC Member
I am waiting for another spring to come out from VOC spares but with this general slowing up of everything it would appear so has the mail and parcels. Will let you know how iut goes when it gets here. My Bramptons on my B sit correctly but I'm not about to pull the forks apart on it to put the spring in the problem Bramptons.

Phelps.

vibrac

VOC Member
Its Hard to check strength visually here are an old and a replacement spring from long ago before I fitted a coil over
does 85lb spring sound right? (I told you it was long ago:p )
1587725463950.png

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
Morning Tim,

180 or 160 and stamped on the nut at the top generally. 180 for solo and 160 for side car according to the book.

ogrilp400

Non-VOC Member
There isn't a stamping on the nut but given that the nut is not an integral part of the spring they could be mixed and matched. The wire diameter is .360 including the paint. KTB says that this is a 180 LB spring and is correct for a twin. Should it be a 160LB spring?

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
Pa
There isn't a stamping on the nut but given that the nut is not an integral part of the spring they could be mixed and matched. The wire diameter is .360 including the paint. KTB says that this is a 180 LB spring and is correct for a twin. Should it be a 160LB spring?

Ken, page 22 KTB says 180 for solo on a twin and some people prefer the 160 on the 500 single. All on the last paragraph.