FF: Forks More Brampton Woes

Michael Vane-Hunt

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
My forks do not show any signs of contact on the fork tube or on the stops. I do have to be careful as to where the valve lifter is located so as to not whack the tank, I am heavy, usually travel one up fully loaded and have hit the occasional pothole and speed bump hard enough to jar my teeth.

Attachments

• 20200324_103831.jpg
    20200324_103831.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 72
  • 20200324_103932.jpg
    20200324_103932.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 62
  • 20200324_142354.jpg
    20200324_142354.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 20200324_142443.jpg
    20200324_142443.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 20200324_142608.jpg
    20200324_142608.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 62

greg brillus

VOC Member
Looking at your steering stops, the travel is too much, this is what Ken was asking about in his first post about the steering stem being too low to contact the stops on the head lug correctly. I think it is common problem perhaps an over look by the factory, as I have had the same issues with bikes I have done, including replacement forks assemblies in the last couple of years. leaving out the FF 36 washer (if one is present) can help out a little here. Of course it is possible on the aftermarket forks, this issue could be worse. On the new "A" twins built here the steering head bearings were taper rollers, and the stops had to be cut back quite a lot to get the correct travel lock to lock. It is a funny problem not unlike the early bikes whereby the front fuel tank lugs seem to be too close together........A common problem that cannot be isolated to just one or two bikes.....strange going's on.

ogrilp400

Non-VOC Member
Is that on side stand, with a rider on it or on rear stand. It looks way too extended either which way.
It is on the rear stand unladen. If I put it on the side stand then the for will go to full extension and the rear tube rest against the cross piece.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Greg points out an important note where he mentions FF36 washer. This washer was never fitted on the Bramptons (Series A & B) and looking in the Vincent parts book this washer and the felt seal is not listed or shown in the diagram MO30 either. I have checked my early B copy and later B/C copy and both agree. This is more relevant to the other Brampton discussion so I have posted it there as well.

Dinny

VOC Member
Simon is correct with the differences between the series A & B, the A has a shorter headstock and so the spring is shorter. Both my bikes with Brampton’s have the bottom link almost horizontal when sat off the stand.

I also agree there is something wrong with the spring and it looks too long. Both my A & B have no indications that the fork tubes have ever hit the bottom yoke and even with the weight off the front wheel the spring stops it even getting close.

Cheers
Mark

flashvin

Active Forum User
VOC Member
One for each column. The one with the dents is closely related to Oldhaven’s.
I just look at the dents the same way as the ones in the touring fenders.
On the late 1930,s works TT machines there were travel limiters fitted to the forks clearly visible in a press photo to prevent denting the tubes on full extension. So the works were aware of the issue as were Velocette on the girder forked KTT, racers. In the late 30,s In Ontario the Sparks Brothers fitted Norton rebound check springs their very fast TT. Replica.