Misc: Electrical (General) Miller Lighting on a 1947 Rapide

craig

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Some months ago I was re-reading through a very large pile of motorcycle magazines from the sixties and seventies. I came across a piece that referred to the PR 38 type cable connector. It was described exactly and was original equipment on a pre-war machine (not Vincent) but I forget which. The text claimed it was of Lucas manufacture. Spurred on by Craig's post I have just tried a frenzied re-search through these magazines but, of course, I have been unable to unearth the article.
Hugo

Hugo , Thanks for your time on this. Please search and find this if you can.
Craig

craig

VOC Member
Maybe it would help to understand the Miller equipment on an A series Vincent.
What dynamo on A series? Miller number?
What headlamp on A series? Miller number?
PR38s connectors?
What tail lamp?

Thanks
Craig

b'knighted

VOC Member
Check out ebay items 321205071472 & 321203721629 - any help?

I don't thinks that the series A had a Miller dynamo - I believe they generally used Lucas MagDynos and what looks right is a Lucas rear light. The headlamp was, I believe, always Miller. Horns were Lucas?

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Series A twins used Lucas electrics which includes mag-dyno, headlight unit, rear light and all switches.

Series A singles used Miller electrics. Early singles used a BTH mag-dyno and 37 on used a Miller mag-dyno. On both varients the headlight was Miller 8", Miller rear light and Miller switches. Both front and rear lights and handlebar switches were different to post war bikes, but sorry I don't have the Miller part numbers.

The horn used on twins and singles was Lucas.

Why did the twins use Lucas and the singles use Miller?

Cheers
Simon.

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Hugo , Thanks for your time on this. Please search and find this if you can.
Craig

Craig,

I am continuing the search whenever I can. Unfortunately I skimmed through hundreds at the time. A thorough hunt will take a lot longer but I shall keep trying.

Hugo

craig

VOC Member
I think the Miller part numbers were listed on the build sheets......I see Miller part numbers on early B series...so I am assuming , maybe A series build sheets?

Series A twins used Lucas electrics which includes mag-dyno, headlight unit, rear light and all switches.

Series A singles used Miller electrics. Early singles used a BTH mag-dyno and 37 on used a Miller mag-dyno. On both varients the headlight was Miller 8", Miller rear light and Miller switches. Both front and rear lights and handlebar switches were different to post war bikes, but sorry I don't have the Miller part numbers.

The horn used on twins and singles was Lucas.

Why did the twins use Lucas and the singles use Miller?

Cheers
Simon.

craig

VOC Member
Craig,

I am continuing the search whenever I can. Unfortunately I skimmed through hundreds at the time. A thorough hunt will take a lot longer but I shall keep trying.

Hugo

I hate when that happens, I have been there , Thank you for working at this.
Craig

craig

VOC Member
Check out ebay items 321205071472 & 321203721629 - any help?

I don't thinks that the series A had a Miller dynamo - I believe they generally used Lucas MagDynos and what looks right is a Lucas rear light. The headlamp was, I believe, always Miller. Horns were Lucas?

Thank you b'knighted Ian, I am working on obtaining some.

craig

VOC Member
After months of trying to fabricate a Miller rear brake switch for my 47, I am still not making progress.
Is there a fabricator we can motivate to supply these?
Can you imagine the price he could charge for this if done well?
I am still looking for authentic wheel weights as well!
SeriesBRapide1946-1.jpg

A_HRD

VOC Member
Craig,

We discussed this (rear brake switches) offline a few months back. You'll recall I had been messing around with the idea for 2 or 3 years; then other things got in the way, as they do....

Well, I'm pleased to report that I am now making good progress and have most of the necessary parts, for a first batch, ready for fettling. Drawings are done, the bodies are done, the cross-arms are done, the internal insulators and associated steel reinforcers for the cross-arm components are done, the big round insulator is done. I'll be sourcing high quality copper-beryillium strips shortly, and also the external brass screw connectors. That'll just leave the simple matter of springs, mounting-brackets, assembly, testing and cosmetics.

So don't hold your breath, but you might be getting a prototype around Christmas ;-)

Peter B
Bristol, UK.