Misc: Electrical (General) Miller Lighting on a 1947 Rapide

craig

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks Albervin, I cut a slot in my repro 8" Miller reflector and it works fine. Miller repro ammeter lights up just fine with headlight on, not so much with smaller running light. Dremel tool with cut off wheel did the job.

craig

VOC Member
I believe the Miller number for an 8" head lamp on an early B Rapide 1946-1947 is 84CV. This is same format as the well known 7" Miller 74CV (commonly called 6½) fitted to the majority of Vincent. Can anyone add to this please? Cheers Craig

craig

VOC Member
I am requesting help gathering information on the Miller dip switch S157, PR18Q in the Vincent spares. Are there photos of this piece new in the box? photo of cable in the box? catalog listing of this item in a Miller catalog or advertisement? Thanks Craig

craig

VOC Member
I got all excited about a parts list for an 84CV, but I see the build sheets for early B's list an 94E.
So I am still requesting helps with Vincent Miller headlamp documentation for 94E
Thanks
Craig

I did receive a spares list today on the 84CV and posted a portion at thevincent.com
click on Early Rapides. I am looking for more info on this 84CV subject if you can help.

http://www.thevincent.com/EarlyRapides.html
cheers
Craig

craig

VOC Member
Why are the PR38 cable connectors (horn button and rear lamp) listed or called Miller cable connectors?
Is there documentation to show these are indeed Miller items?
Did Miller manufacture and supply the wire harness for series B and C Vincents?
Where is documentation to support this ?
Thanks
Craig

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
More than 40 years ago, when I was stuffing around with my first 'bike, a 1947 MSS Velo. I read somewhere that the "CV" part of the Miller nomenclature stood for "Controlled Voltage". The inference being that it referred to the whole shooting match, not just the headlight. Miller supplied other stuff complete with wiring so I reckon they would have supplied the loom; but just a guess on my part! Found a new pair of K.L.G. FE70 "Corundite" plugs in my shed yesterday, are these right for early "B" Rapides? The wiring harness in the Parts List also has a Miller part no. All "PR" part numbers are bought in components, the "PR" stands for "Proprietary" if my memory serves me well. I don't think the Vincent factory had an area for loom manufacture, either. Also look at Parts description for PR18/1AS- Headlamp complete with etc.

Last edited:

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Why are the PR38 cable connectors (horn button and rear lamp) listed or called Miller cable connectors?
Is there documentation to show these are indeed Miller items?
Did Miller manufacture and supply the wire harness for series B and C Vincents?
Where is documentation to support this ?
Thanks
Craig

Some months ago I was re-reading through a very large pile of motorcycle magazines from the sixties and seventies. I came across a piece that referred to the PR 38 type cable connector. It was described exactly and was original equipment on a pre-war machine (not Vincent) but I forget which. The text claimed it was of Lucas manufacture. Spurred on by Craig's post I have just tried a frenzied re-search through these magazines but, of course, I have been unable to unearth the article.
Hugo

craig

VOC Member
Hi David, Thanks for your answer. Do you confirm these PR38s were Miller installed in the harness, rather than Vincent assembly crew installing PR38 as part of the build?
I am on the hunt for Miller documentation and want to understand all the products Miller was producing in 1946-49.
Need all help I can get
Thanks
Craig

miller 8 inch and 7 inch came to the factory in boxes incuding wire harness and dip switch complete