Misc: Electrical (General) Miller Lighting on a 1947 Rapide

Rob H

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks steve, any chance of a photo showing the difference of the connections on the back

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Sorry, I didn't pay enough attention to the earlier posts to see that you were talking about the external connectors. The repro bulb sockets don't hold the bulbs as well as the original, and the repro spring contacts are not too springy, so that is where I noticed a difference between the two. To my eye, the external connectors are pretty accurately reproduced.

Sorry for the view, but they are both mounted on bikes, and I am not going to remove them to get better photos. And yes, I know the repro one using all 6 mounting holes instead of just three is not per the factory.

The dead giveaway to spot a repro are the round head screws that hold the guts in place, that stick out on the back side. The original has countersunk flat head screws.

Original Back
OriginalBack.JPG

Repro Back
ReproBack.JPG

Last edited:

vibrac

VOC Member
all this minutaie
early wiring, spokes,which side a lever goes,what spacers on a horn,original stop lamp identification
Let me say all good stuff, absorbing,entertaining
and yet and yet...
We still have not got a full Concours comittee since poor old Phil Primmer passed away.
Me? no not while I have the Alphabet twin B forks C frame D engine how could I ever point out that it was the wrong air in the tyres :)
But there must be someone around who would be perfect for the post

craig

VOC Member
I would agree that those who have knowledge of the OEM Miller will not be fooled by the current repro, but...............the modern repro is pretty darn close and can be made to fool most , in my mind, by changing the following -
1. stamp/engrave No30E in appropriate size and location
2. change mount hardware for period type hardware.
3. replace current skinny lens hold down wire with period size thicker wire.
4. replace white plastic license lens with clear.
5. counter sink the screw holes in the mount plate
Maybe others have more to do, but this comes closest for me

Sorry, I didn't pay enough attention to the earlier posts to see that you were talking about the external connectors. The repro bulb sockets don't hold the bulbs as well as the original, and the repro spring contacts are not too springy, so that is where I noticed a difference between the two. To my eye, the external connectors are pretty accurately reproduced.Sorry for the view, but they are both mounted on bikes, and I am not going to remove them to get better photos. And yes, I know the repro one using all 6 mounting holes instead of just three is not per the factory.The dead giveaway to spot a repro are the round head screws that hold the guts in place, that stick out on the back side. The original has countersunk flat head screws.

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
Logo on the speedo is the pre-war one, probably old stock !! Also Bakelite knobs were I think used on early B production. See my a Twin here
27-11-2011-61_zps24aff7f9.jpg

craig

VOC Member
I know we enjoy calling the Vincent Miller head lamps 6.1/2" , but (and this maybe old news) they actually are Miller 7" - 74CV
The glass measures 6.5 , but the body measures 7"
1961Pricelist7%BD&7hilited.jpg

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
An over-all lighting observation:
People would come to me with the well known dim headlight complaint whereupon I'd say:let me show you something. I would attach a jumper wire directly from the battery directly to the high beam wire with the reflector shell removed. Wow, a bright headlamp!!!!
Problem: awful corroded wiring connectors....corroded and worn main switch contacts..... and way undersized wires to the dimmer switch which was junk anyway.

craig

VOC Member
Question about 8" Miller for early B Rapides - is there a slot cut for lighting the Miller ammeter, like on the 74CV 7" Miller? Is there a chance of a photo of this slot? dimensions?
Thank you
craig

Albervin

VOC Member
I have several early Miller reflectors that could be A or early B. They all have or have had some insulation stuck on them to prevent earthing the ammeter pole switches. I will check later to see if the slots are all the same.

craig

VOC Member
Here is a light slot for illuminating the ammeter on a Miller 7" =74CV
So I am expecting you to find an ammeter slot on an earlier 8" too.
Thank you
Craig
AmmeterSlot_3725.jpg