Misc: Everything Else Mikuni Fuel Pipe Routing

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
K100 and petrol tanks: The most amazing thing Ben showed me was the pump sits inside the tank and the wires that work it go in there too AND the two terminals( + and -) with bright shiny nuts sit immersed in petrol! and just fumes on the last knockings......
I love my K100 I bought it last year for £400 with just 25000 miles the 1150 GS is still Sorned

timetraveller

VOC Member
Numbnuts of the world unite. You have nothing to loose. Dave it is easy to see what the problem with the Vincent tank is. Take off the filler cap and peer inside, looking at an angle from above the left side of the bike and down to the right. You will see the ridge inside which goes over and around the oil tank/ UFM. You will see that there is nothing to stop fuel sloshing from one side to the other so one ends up with similar levels of fuel in each side of the tank. Because of the bump which is there to allow space for the front carb the left side of the tank will hold less fuel than the right, hence the reason to use the right side of the tank as the reserve.

John Appleton

VOC Member
K100 and petrol tanks: The most amazing thing Ben showed me was the pump sits inside the tank and the wires that work it go in there too AND the two terminals( + and -) with bright shiny nuts sit immersed in petrol! and just fumes on the last knockings......
I love my K100 I bought it last year for £400 with just 25000 miles the 1150 GS is still Sorned
Tim, most modern cars have a submerged fuel pump inside the tank. I have never known this to cause a problem in either cars or bikes, so cheer up and find something else to worry about:). John.

vibrac

VOC Member
Tim, most modern cars have a submerged fuel pump inside the tank. I have never known this to cause a problem in either cars or bikes, so cheer up and find something else to worry about:). John.
I did not say I was worried John,if the Germans did it it must be OK :rolleyes: but I was amazed. As for modern cars well I dont know much about any consumer durable after the mid 80's

John Appleton

VOC Member
I did not say I was worried John,if the Germans did it it must be OK :rolleyes: but I was amazed. As for modern cars well I dont know much about any consumer durable after the mid 80's
Tim, I realized that you were not worried, but grabbed the chance for a good natured dig. I too have a K100 RT that I have owned since new in 1985. Probably the best all round bike I have ever owned BUT when the electric fan cuts in you cannot ride with your legs inside the fairing unless the ambient temperature is below 10degrees C, even with all of the foam infills in place. For this reason alone, it is my winter bike. Back to the thread topic of fuel piping!!!

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
As Numbnut 2 :D , I am not sure how the reserve works, I just saw the stand pipe in the shop and panicked !.
If you ran on reserve all the time would that be OK ??.
As Ian says there is not a lot in the other side, So if you have to turn the other tap on,
You are in the smelly stuff in a VERY ! few miles.
The other thing is maybe saw the stand pipe off and resolder the filter ??.
I think I will buy a BMW :D, I do miss my K100, Don't know why, It had much too much Vibration at 70/80,
And I would not go over 100 because I thought it was dangerous without a steering damper.

Bill,
The taps I`ve got have filter tubes that unscrew & have another thin clear tube inside that so you can cut to length to adjust the reserve available.
Still can`t get my head around how fuel would be trapped by the tubes.
The K100s are really popular now for turning into Cafe Racers or Street Fighter type bikes, they can be had quite cheap now, I`d thought about getting one but think I should finish what I`ve got, can`t help myself sometimes !
Most people I know that have had the 750 & 1000 reckon the 750 was a better bike, think because it was a triple rather than a four, the Police had a few issues with high speed handling on their ones, think they lost a few officers unfortunately.
Cheers
Dave

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
Numbnuts of the world unite. You have nothing to loose. Dave it is easy to see what the problem with the Vincent tank is. Take off the filler cap and peer inside, looking at an angle from above the left side of the bike and down to the right. You will see the ridge inside which goes over and around the oil tank/ UFM. You will see that there is nothing to stop fuel sloshing from one side to the other so one ends up with similar levels of fuel in each side of the tank. Because of the bump which is there to allow space for the front carb the left side of the tank will hold less fuel than the right, hence the reason to use the right side of the tank as the reserve.

Norman,
Very well explained, but I still can`t understand why I can`t run both taps with a reserve or would that mean I`d just be having a very limited time on the "On" position ?
I`ve always used my trip meter to know when to refill even on bikes with a fuel gauge & warning light so probably wouldn`t rely on the Reseve too much in reality.
Probably answered my on question there, shouldn`t try to overcomplicate things.
Think Robert said just use the trip meter earlier.
Cheers
Dave

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I thought the petrol would get through but a bit of air lock, So fits and farts, from cold start ?.
Having seen Vibrac's Son's first K100 racer, I felt that's what I should have done, Looked Super.
But I am a Vin' man really, And didn't want to spend too much on it ,
I am sure my friend conned me into buying the BM, He asked me to ride it to another friends house and knew I would love the Power, Never had 90 bhp before !!.
He built it for His Son, Who didn't want it, The steering was really bad !!,
Took me a while to work out, It had 2 ply tyres on it !, Needed an extra half a road width if pushing on,
= Strange, No Dangerous !!.
They say the 750 one doesn't vibrate ?.
I knew of the Police crashes, But I have seen them ride really silly, I only used the BM as a Grot bike,
When cold or wet, Or for the shops, I kept it for over 10 years, Good Bike.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
They say the 750 one doesn't vibrate ?.
I knew of the Police crashes, But I have seen them ride really silly, I only used the BM as a Grot bike,
When cold or wet, Or for the shops, I kept it for over 10 years, Good Bike.
Re: BMW 750 triple. The three had a balance shaft, the four didn't.