Misc: Everything Else Mikuni Fuel Pipe Routing

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
So I think that's what we need to know with these carb's,
Vin's are not good, I have had a few scares over many years,
And if you go fast, You can get in real trouble !, 25 to the English gallon !!, Doing 70 to 80 = 50 ish to the gallon
I don't go far now, Or very fast !!, So I fill up as I start my ride and reckon I should be OK for 100 miles.

b'knighted

VOC Member
I am running without weir tubes so I run left tap main and right tap reserve. I have tried a weir tube on the left tap of the Knight trying to increase reserve range but you end up with petrol on the left side that won’t come out of either tap. The only way round it that I can see would be to have the an internal divider in the tank to give a larger separated reserve at the cost of some maIn tap mileage. A completely divided tank with separate filler caps would let me run the right tap for main with the left tap for the smaller reserve, with the great advantage of being able to see how much was in each side.

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
I put on another thread that there are some petrol taps that have huge reserve pipes sticking up,
And that on Vin's, I fit taps with No reserve, Because we have the other side ?,
So as Ian says this would make it worse with these Carb's ?.
It would mean going on reserve with half a tank left ??, = No point ??.

I thought I was being clever fitting taps with a reserve both sides because I'd read a thread where the chap had only got about 8 miles out of the right tap.
Also wanted to have both open because I'd seen another thread where it was suggested that you could get fuel starvation so needed both open.
Now I'm wondering if I could remove the fuel tube from my left tap, especially as B'knighted said not all the fuel would be available, and leave the reserve tube on the right tap so I could run with both open & maybe a bigger reserve.
Cheers
Dave

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Sorry Dave , But it's better to know ?,
We need bigger tanks !, There was a fashion in the 60/70 s for Big Fi glass tanks, But the new petrol has put paid to that !.
I was in Feked last year for a tap, and saw the big reserve and thought I would be on reserve most of the time,
So would forget and runout anyway :D .
So went for NO reserve type, Shame your taps look posh.
I have found it better to keep an eye on the mileage, When you have got used to your Bike,
You will know what it likes, But for a while don't trust it !!.
First time you race a Vin', You think there is a hole in the tank !! :D,
That is the difference between Normal and playing silly beggers.
Good Luck, Bill.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I do not think you will gain extra reserve capacity on the RHS fuel tap by fitting a reserve tap on that side, it might work if the tank was static on a bench, but in use you will have to factor in the slosh effect, by that I mean the RHS of the tank will slosh a degree of its contents to the LHS, probably to below the level of your reserve tap.

Comet Rider

VOC Member
You could always do what the late Ian Palmer did.

Get 2 tanks, cut the bottom out of 1 and the top out of the other, weld them together and you end up with a 5 gallon tank. (the Indian tanks would be suitable for this)

timetraveller

VOC Member
Bill, fibreglass and Modern fuel are not incompatible. It is just important to use the right fibreglass resin and the correct heat treatment. I have made a few but the resin I used had to be baked for two hours at 70+ deg C ( that is from memory so don't rely on those exact figures).

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Brother Ron built me a big tank for my Special, But I had to put Oil in one side :D ,
He cut the tank half way up and put a 2" filler to make it taller, But at the front you have to be careful,
It gets too near the forks etc.

T.T. I know what you are saying, But I don't think I would trust it, It's all in the Mind !, Well mine anyway.
If my welding was better, I like "Comet Rider's" idea,
But I don't go far enough now.

vibrac

VOC Member
If you search old MPH you will find a report from me and photos (Now lost) of a tank wich comprised a standard tank with two extra standard tank sides silver soldered /brazed on so that it made a sort of racing tank viewed from above as it formed cut outs for the knees I fitted it but it looked too much like one of George Broughs bitsas that lot of people like (I am not one of them!)

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I always wanted one with knee cutouts like the BSA gold star,
Mind you I sat on a Guzzi Le Mans the other day, A Bike I have always wanted, And I couldn't get my knees in !.