Where Are You Now? MFD379 Comet

Debbie Kemp

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Debbie,

Thank you for the heads up on the book, and again the pictures. I have found a copy and ordered it. Hopefully in time for Christmas.
I look forward to seeing what's in it, and to passing it onto Dad aswell.

Ray, This is the only other picture I have of the Dad and the bike.

View attachment 54772
There are a couple of decent photos of the bike in the book, taken in front of haystacks. Ironically we used one of the photos to adorn my Dad's coffin (with permission from Jacqueline) - there's a photo of it on this forum in the photo folder “2009”, labelled “Ray Smith’s Coffin”.

Last edited:

Russell Kemp

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Steve, the photos of your dad have answered one question about the Comet and that was as a touring model did it have touring bars and I think the answer looking at your photos is no. I was thinking about fitting touring bars but I now think it should be left with the flat bars as it looks like it left the factory with them.

Steve, can you send me an email to russell.kemp998@gmail.com so we can chat.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Steve, the photos of your dad have answered one question about the Comet and that was as a touring model did it have touring bars and I think the answer looking at your photos is no.
According to the factory records MFD 379 was fitted with touring handlebars. Maybe an owner changed them early on.