Measuring Compression Ratio

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
And remember folks that Mr Tragle is the man who tells us that he can make a fully equiped road going twin go so much faster than 150mph that it needed a Lightning speedo!!

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
And keep it mind it has been proven and is a matter of record. You do not need to go to Bonneville to record time trials.

vibrac

VOC Member
The compression ratio that mean's anything is the ratio developed when running and warm. All this preparation ritual is meaningless. The guys above are right..... warm it up, screw in the gauge and see. It's like doing a leak down test with a combustion chamber full of grease otherwise.
One of my in looking at Vincent tech advice after all these years was to see how things have developed. Lord, it's gotten worse. Perhaps it's best to ignore the years of Vincent drivel (as if it's something oh so very unique) and lean how an Otto engine works.

Back on track guys, Malcolm said "for fun trips and going out not racing"

Howard

VOC Member
I don't think it's essential to know the exact compression ratio, as Ogri said as long as they're the same on a twin. I dropped my roadgoing twin from (about) 9:1 to (about) 8:1 for a smoother, easier to start engine - I didn't find a lot of difference, so I took the compression plates out again - the slight power gain outweighed any "perceived" extra vibration (and it's less likely to leak from the base gasket).

H

Last edited:

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
To answer this would take about three hundred pages but lets us do one that is fun because you can see it in the picture I posted. See that window on the rear cylinder rocker cover.... though that you can see the copious amount of oil returning from cooling the
hot part of the cylinder head after the valve spring has flushed the interior of that area with oil dropping the head temperature dramatically. So we remove ALOT of heat and transfer it into the air via that huge oil cooler otherwise known as the oil tank. I had plenty
of surplus oil because the other parts in the engine were designed to run with minimal friction thus needing less oil. Much credit is due to Dan Swain who has ceramic fused the bearing parts with the material needed, fused the hot areas with a heat blocking ceramic and the
exterior of the engine with yet another type of ceramic to dissipate heat, Do not confuse Dans special work with this run of the mill spray on stuff..... Dan is the best and I got hooked up with this special work through Paul Newmans race team.

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
Oh, and if timetravellers remark above was a personal slight meaning I must be full of shit..... why does he not display an equal achievement of his own.

Last edited:

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
All this sounds like marvelous and feasible stuff no doubt but note that the greatest radiator of heat is the massive crankcase and covers themselves . The oil tank certainly adds hugely to that .
When At a Rally attended by Irving we saw him become incensed with anger when he saw a Rapide highly polished top to bottom , gleaming like chrome EVERYWHERE , all fins , every inch of its surface . Phil shouted at the poor fellow as follows . " You have RUINED my motor " ! The guy was crushed .
I'd like to know where we're you able to find a road to run and clock that superb machine on , and what speed was reached ?
A pal peaked out my modified Rapide , this in road Lightning trim , to 130 in third . Scared the shite out of him ! He was blanched white and shaking never having seen such speed on a bike before , had a 600 cc Norton twin himself . Sid .

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
Your sump as a heat sink is dead right. Hell, I talked a State Policeman into clocking me with his radar on a lonely stretch of interstate while I was riding a different machine.... of course this is not official record stuff. The cop was impressed with the 137 mph this old crate turned.
I did my "official" run at an airport after a lot of trouble getting the officials out there to record it. You can find a way.... I honestly forget how I managed to get this all together.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
What about piston type ,compression ratio, head configuration,cams, carbs , valves, ignition type etc. Standard bore and stroke?
Glen