Measuring Compression Ratio

Big Sid

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
So what speed was reached during the airport run ? Never said . You were burning pump gas it appears , never mentioned otherwise , and it was above the range of a 150 spedo , needed a 180 clock to handle its speed you have said .
One fast bitch ! But just HOW fast ? And we want to know more . Did it sport Big Port heads , 2 inch valves ? What size were those DelOrtos ?
My street Rap ran 32 mm TTs and four taps . Ported original heads . Please describe the other support equipment in use .
Such development needs being shouted to the skys ! This was monumental and needs publicity , stated in print , magazines .
Sid .

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
All you mention above was either custom made to my specifications...... or myself. Obviously the heads were my own design. John Andrews ground the profiles for me. You are speaking of things that don't exist except in that one machine. A $120.000 rebuilt engine. The fellow demanded the best of everything and told me to go nuts ...... so I did. You can't buy any of this stuff so what good would a list be? Besides, I already said it would take 300 pages to explain that machine and still most people wouldn't know what I was talking about.
You are asking for too much. The bottom line was maximum precision and nothing else.

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
You are speaking of old racing stuff some of which made the machine slower. I started with a clean slate and ignored the old myths. The speed reached a disappointing 159.63 mph. Disappointing as I knew it was faster.... after the run was over I found a partially
abraded iginition wire leaking some juice to ground .....and, of course said: OH SHIT.

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
This story is over as I have had enough. I have enough bad emotional baggage here to fill the Queen Mary. The owner -my friend- was broadsided by a moron in a honda motorcar. The machine was completely ruined, as was John the rider and Rip the builder.
I never wanted to build another and I haven't. However, due to lessons learned with this machine my next would have been faster: just so people here and there can call me full of shit. End of story.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
It seemed as though you wanted to talk about the machine, and I am all ears. I'm not sure why you are unwilling to disclose details, but you must have your reasons.

Glen

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
Do you look and read? I have posted pictures of the details, I have explained numerous details in postings. In this column I have made it clear that a full description of the details is beyond the scope of a post and would require a book. Do you understand that
a machinist just doesn't make a custom part? He has to design and draw it and then build the jigs and fixtures to hold things let alone buy special machine tools to do this one off with in the lathe or milling machine or Sunnen Hone. How do you think I machine
interior grooves in my custom made Ampco 45 valve guides to hold a Viton quad seal in there.....let alone the tooling needed to fit the ceramic coated valve stem in without tearing the seal? There's a detail for you.... now you do it. Do you know what Ampco 45 is?
You have decided I am "unwilling" after I have already made it clear that it is impossible. And what in the hell makes people think I have to use my time to explain anything to them anyway?

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
I see, none of us are smart enough to understand your genius.And you are extremely busy. Fair enough.

Glen

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
Sir, you make a fool of yourself...... my "genius" is nothing more than applied textbook information. Obviously you have not read them. Secondly, it is obvious when you don't get your own way you lash out with what you think is cleverness. Simply childish.

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
When I assisted in going through the crankshaft assembly , heads and barrels with Bill Jean we noted several neat departures from normal practice . It's known that considerable heat is generated within the valve springs due to the necessary rubbing between inner and outer coils . This is necessary to lessen coil bounce and surging , common to all regular coil springs . The inter coil rubbing damps out this unwanted motion . On the top guides upon which the springs sit we found a circular ring of small holes located to blow oil mist up between the inner and outer coils clearly meant to lessen the heat generated by this friction as the coils rubbed together . It's known that in many engines the heat so generated creates so much heat that the cylinder head runs as hot NOT firing , being driven in a test rig , as when the complete motor is running .
So Rips point is well founded . Flushing the valve springs with oil would result in more power and cooler running heads by reducing friction . Clever lad . Sid .

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
I thank you.... the above works wonders. By the way, I build Ampco -45 upper guides and the springs are frictionless ceramic fused.