Misc: Everything Else Luggage

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Nobody who has not tried a small sporting or trials sidecar should criticise them
they are the only vehicle that needs two people to work together to get the best performance
IF (perhaps WHEN in this benighted cotton wool world) the 50MPH blanket limit comes in
I know what I would chose for the most fun
Here is my sidecar off the Comet now and on my 650 Triumph NOT to be ridden solo!
1705589448558.png

Last edited:

Speedtwin

VOC Member
Show us your outfit.
I built this bad boy to transport my wheelchair using son utilising a VRod Harley.
First time I ever rode the outfit was a 300 mile journey to England to have my setup checked by an expert, turned out to be spot on.
On the way up to the Liverpool boat I was tired and day dreaming glanced sideways and nearly jumped out of the saddle. I had forgot the chair was there...
I did not ballast the chair I can honestly say it was the most bum clenching return journey ever.
I enjoyed building the outfit.IMG_1871.JPG
Very fast handled well and we could even get the dog onboard.

Colin

VOC Member
I worked as an RAC Road Patrolman in the 1950's with an ancient 16H Norton attached to a big wooden box sidecar. We worked long hours in summer especially and although we had some limits on fuel purchase I did many miles in the course of a week, as my stretch of road was from Ashford in Kent to Dover Port . Long streams of motorists heading to or from the Continent. many of them badly prepared for the trip, and breaking, or already broken down
. Before I joined I had not ridden a sidecar outfit so was tutoured for half a day by my "next door" patrolman.

. I very very soon became a proficient sidecarist., and could get the old outfit to sit up and beg with the sidecar wheel in the air as the Norton thumped slowly along on max retard. These antics were frowned upon by my very officious Superintendent
Early on in my new role I was waiting at my RAC Box for any phone call from my Superintendent when coasting down the A20 hill came a "dead" scooter with a lad and his girlfriend on board. " Can yer 'elp us Mister it won't go" A quick clean of a very whiskered plug got it running again.

They were going touring France on holiday on a scooter without any tools not even a plug spanner. But best of all, ALL their luggage consisted of brown paper parcels tied with string and festooned around the scooter.!
The very first shower of rain would have found them scattering clean, spare knickers, etc etc across the French countryside as the brown paper disintegrated. The innocence of youth, I often wonder how far they got.
A life size picture ,of a handsome young RAC man adorned an RAC outfit in Bill Bewleys's Lakeland Motor Museum for many years. Modesty forbids me from naming him, but our blue uniforms were MUCH better than the drab AA man. The pay was peanuts for very long hours however

Pushrod Twin

VOC Member
Show us your outfit.
This Watsonian copy was made for me by Bill & John, both ex-pat Englishmen, of BJ Sidecars in West Auckland about 1978. It was about the fourth or fifth one off their line which went on for many years. It became the ultimate luggage carrier in the '90s when attached to an Earles Fork BMW powered by an R90S engine & 4 speed /5 box. My two eldest sons rode jammed in the rear while my wife nursed the third lad on her knee. It had paniers & tank bag for the gear, a collapsible pushchair in a canvas bag between the bike & chair and packets of disposable nappies bungeed on top of the panniers when we went to VOC NZ & BMWOR & Sidecar Owners Club meetings. :)

Attachments

• 20231221_164527.jpg
    20231221_164527.jpg
    413.1 KB · Views: 23

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
This is what I did in 1992 on a new ship made these panniers and only 28" wide so will go through any doorway and still narrow enough to filter throgh traffic. small panniers 12 litre each for extra fuel but never got round that. Lived out of them for ten weeks in NZ 1995 and used as a pic-pic table sitting on the small ones and eating off the rear ones. The "A" Rapide was of Similar dimensions too.
][87654321§1234567890-].JPG

Speedtwin

VOC Member
Nice one Marcus fantastic full expedition luggage.
Meet two German chaps coming off the boat in Roslare in Wexford last year they had similar setups on their GS Bmws.
Along with spare tyres and fuel cans.
We thought they were headed for the artic turns out they were touring Ireland.........