Ian Savage

VOC Vice President
VOC Member
Traditional for my Comet
1000000121.jpg

erik

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
In Germany a bike with a trailer is allowed to go 60km/h .So no motorway is allowed! A lot of fun?

vibrac

VOC Member
In Germany a bike with a trailer is allowed to go 60km/h .So no motorway is allowed! A lot of fun?
Tell me about it
When I went to the Grosglockner hill climb I took my twin on a trailer behind my car it was only when I got there they told me that in Germany trailers are in the slow lane only and there I had been giving my Subaru Impreza the big foot. We came back a lot slower.

erik

VOC Member
A trailer behind a car is something different ! The speed limit of 60 km/H is only for motorcycles with a trailer . And not for sidecars!

oexing

VOC Member
Basically trailers behind cars got a speed limit of 80 kph on all roads, motorbikes with trailers only 60 kph, so not legal on autobahns, as minimum speed there is 60 kph . That is why you will not find trailers behind bikes , only mopeds or in very modern times of CO2 craze behind or in front of push bikes - very green certainly . . .
In real life I´d go faster than 80 kph when sitting on the autobahn with car and trailer, maybe 100 kph all day. Police would not care much about this or at least tickets would be cheap enough in rare cases . The Mercedes Sprinters and all will go 100 mph and more on the autobahn as they will feel pushed for express transport all year of course . . . .
In times gone by there were monowheel trailers for motorbikes which lean into bends like the motorbikes - fascinating but never been legal in my country. Anybody here who operates one of these ?

Vic

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I picked up a fine on the M6 in 2007, going to the Vincent Rally on the Isle of Man, when the blue lights came on I assumed I had been speeding, but no (although I had been, maybe!) apparently I had used the outside lane to overtake slow moving traffic, trailers are not allowed in the outside lane, but apart from issuing me with a fixed penalty, they were reasonably accommodating, they wanted to take my driving licence from me for processing, I explained that I needed my licence with me to partake in club events at the rally, primarily the lap of the TT Circuit, so they wrote me out a producer for 14 days hence, which was nice of them, I suppose they could have let off with just a warning as well, but chose not to, perhaps they were not so nice after all.

oexing

VOC Member
I would not know that trailers were illegal on the "fast" lane as trucks got same speed limit of 80 kph and these are a nuisance on the fast lane all day, with little benefit from overtaking the truck in front BUT producing all sorts of dangerous situations. THAT is really what has to be made illegal, trucks overtaking other trucks at speeds only minimally faster and blocking the rest of traffic. But I guess transport business got great lobbying in parlament so nothing ever happens . So no, trailers are not illegal on the fast lane as you could watch them in masses in the holiday seasons in summer.

Vic

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
OK, so here is your definitive answer, applicable to driving in the UK, you are not legally allowed to tow a trailer in the outside lane on any motorway if that motorway has three or more lanes, if the motorway has only two lanes, then it is legal to tow a trailer in the outside lane.

Speedtwin

VOC Member
I have a lovely wee krega pouch which holds two one litre bottles it is fantastic.
Slung just in front of back wheel.
IMG_0845.JPGOr two bottles of Whiskey.
Now that's luggage.

Speedtwin

VOC Member
Forgot to say that's the Rap fully loaded, the large black bag tools and spare engine and small blue bag fresh pants or as I like to say tank slapper recovery kit.
Can't be to careful.........