Misc: Everything Else Luggage

Colin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
BMW towing down through Italy, near Naples pulled into service area coffee stop. An Italian motorcyclist advised me he thought a trailer on a solo was illegal in Italy, but not really sure. As we were a few miles from home there was little I could do about it, so carried on. Three days later pulled into another service area /coffee shop. Three police cars with drivers taking their coffee there . A fourth cop car pulled in behind me, the officer got out, without saying a word, walked round my BM and trailer, looked hard at it, walked round again, stood and pondered, shrugged his shoulders and went to join his mates.
I could virtually see the speech bubble over his head " I think that trailer is illegal, but I can't face the paper work just now, let me at the coffee"
No problems subsequently in France ,Italy. Greece, Switzerland (although the police made me buy a Ticket for the trailer as well as the bike) or Luxembourg. We were in no hurry so probably cruising at 50/60 ish mph. One of our all time great trips for a month. 47Deg C in Greek Meteora and minus 3deg C crossing the Alps. Only trouble was "pinking" in excessive heat. Befriended by a very attractive Senorita who insisted on pictures with us

Attachments

• 2010 photos 026.jpg
    2010 photos 026.jpg
    552.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 2010 photos 028.jpg
    2010 photos 028.jpg
    354.6 KB · Views: 52
  • 2010 photos 030.jpg
    2010 photos 030.jpg
    600.2 KB · Views: 56

erik

VOC Member
It is not everybodys cup of tea to do motorcyling with a trailer.It combines in an ideal manner the disadvantages of a car with the disadvantages of a motorcycle . Erik

vibrac

VOC Member
OK, so here is your definitive answer, applicable to driving in the UK, you are not legally allowed to tow a trailer in the outside lane on any motorway if that motorway has three or more lanes, if the motorway has only two lanes, then it is legal to tow a trailer in the outside lane.
Ah whats illegal?
It is illegal for a van (not a car van) eg white van man to exceed 60 on a dual carriageway A road. BUT when did you ever see or hear of one pinched?

Colin

VOC Member
It is not everybodys cup of tea to do motorcyling with a trailer.It combines in an ideal manner the disadvantages of a car with the disadvantages of a motorcycle . Erik
Hi Eric. Certainly not everybodys cup of tea, if if that is so they won't use one.
From my point of view it has the Advantages of a car (ie plenty of "boot" space) and the Advantages of a motorcycle in that you are out in open air riding your favourite bike.
To me it has the ADVANTAGES not disadvantages

oexing

VOC Member
Erik´s opinion on trailers behind motorbikes is another statement than I´d think of: A sidecar machine is the combination of all poor features from car and bike in one vehicle: The outfit is as wide as a car on roads and heavy going round corners - plus the poor weather protection on a bike - so why put up with this, when you got the money for a decent car ? Quite unlike to times in pre- and postwar, when an outfit was the best compromise for the unaffordable car then.

Vic

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
We used this setup for a month of two up touring in the UK in 2007. I believe the top box is the largest size that Craven made. I can't recall the model. With the two 15 litre dry bags added, we had plenty of room for everything. I recall that the total luggage capacity was about the same as the new Honda Goldwing of that year
Screenshot_20240117_131338_Facebook.jpg