Misc: Charging Systems Lucas Dynamo conversion

Chris.R

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Make sure you get rid of the plate with the two screws that hold the old bearing in place and use a sealed bearing in it's place..... End of problems!
Yes the unit has been rebuilt with sealed bearings to avoid flooding the interior, thanks for the comment

Chris.R

VOC Member
Chris
Is this what's required as there is one for sale on evilbay?

It got the internal flat steel plate missing that holds the bearing in, but that can be easily made.
Simon
My dynamo unit would require a Type D6 end plate although Roger Dale who has rebuilt the Lucas says that a Miller end plate in his opinion does not match up as has been suggested something to do with the armature bearing position, I am taking the Lucas now refurbed as a 12v to the South London section meeting this evening to ask the question. I have inserted the dynamo into the engine casing and measured and find I need from my measuring a 9mm spacer to mate on the casing thus allowing the idler to pull up tight in the right place on the taper shaft and correctly mesh with the large idler.

b'knighted

VOC Member
In a thread last year, Series B meteor timing chest post 20, ClevTrev said,
“when you build a Comet, the first component installed is the dynamo, this to ensure that it is central to the seal. All adjustment is done with the large idler and half time pinion.”

Worth bearing in mind when you do come to install the dynamo?

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
In a thread last year, Series B meteor timing chest post 20, ClevTrev said,
“when you build a Comet, the first component installed is the dynamo, this to ensure that it is central to the seal. All adjustment is done with the large idler and half time pinion.”

Worth bearing in mind when you do come to install the dynamo?
Agreed - but remember to aim for absolute minimum backlash between the large idler and the cam pinion.

Chris.R

VOC Member
Agreed - but remember to aim for absolute minimum backlash between the large idler and the cam pinion.
We seem to have the mounting issue sorted at the meeting of the local section last night the mount I have was identified as from a BSA it can be made to fit by turning down the round end on a lath by some 3 mm it should then fit up against the engine case and allow full engagement with the idler centralization is not the problem but must be watched, I have read up Know Thy Beast on centralization thanks for the comment. as an aside I collected my number plates today on which I have had numbers painted by Peter Anthony a very good hand sign writer capable of anything a VOC member might need info@freestylesignstudio.co.uk